Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

ask for recip link or not?

Quote Reply
ask for recip link or not?
Hi,

Is it okay to demand a recip link when someone wants to add a link to my directory? What are your thoughts about this? I'm not sure if I should or shouldn't ask for a recip link. I noticed that there's a recip link checker tutorial in the resources part of this site. If you are using this then I would like to hear your opinion about this functionality.

Regards,

Rik.
Quote Reply
Re: [globalinsites] ask for recip link or not? In reply to
Its not bad, if you don't mind having to re-check it every x number of days. However, the built in add.cgi link checker would be better Wink Then use the other one just to verify them after a week or so. I used to use it on my site..but after a while I just gave up, cos people didn't want to have to link back, they just wanted the free traffic Tongue

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
As Andy mentioned it IS (it's not its) Wink not a bad idea to request a recipricol link, however, requiring one will probably reduce the number of link submissions to your site.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] ask for recip link or not? In reply to
Hi there,

Yes, that is of course bound to happen. How about these options:

* Only commercial sites have to place a recip link.

* Charge commercial sites for a link submission (they don't have to place a recip) and demand a recip for free sites.

* Either charge commercial sites for a link submission or have them place a banner on the index page of their site, and again ask a recip link for free sites.

Which one do you think works best? And why? Is there another (better) option you can think of?

Thanks,

Rik.
Quote Reply
In Reply To:

> * Only commercial sites have to place a recip link. Some commercial sites have a policy of not linking outside.

>* Charge commercial sites for a link submission (they don't have to > place a recip) and demand a recip for free sites. ... so this makes more sense.

>* Either charge commercial sites for a link submission or have them > place a banner on the index page of their site, See above. And: MOst commercial sites will NOT want banner ads for other sitres on their page.
>and again ask a recip link for free sites.

>Which one do you think works best? And why? Is there another (better) >option you can think of?
Question is: How badly do thois people wanna be on your links-list... If they badly badly wanna be there: Ask them for cash. If you list is REALLY good, they will wanna link there anyway... OG
Quote Reply
Perhaps there is a feature that would somehow allow you to list recip sites higher in the listings as an incentive for people to link back to you?

Similar to "Editors Pick" on another popular portal script.