Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Problems with votes and hits

Quote Reply
Problems with votes and hits
I was just wondering, how should the voting work. There is a link to voting page after every link and user selects number from 1 to 10 to evaluate specified resource. However, nothing happens after the vote is given. I can of course vote through admin-panel and then rebuild my whole database, but I dont want to give visitors access to my admin pages. Is this a bug or a feature in Links ? Same problem occurs also with Hits, how should this work, does Links count how many time a link has been accessed through particular link automatically do I have to rebuild my database until Hits get increased ?

Quote Reply
Re: Problems with votes and hits In reply to
The Links output pages are static HTML, so hits and ratings do not get updated until you re-build the database. If you are adding links on a regular basis, you want to be building the database frequently anyway (I do it every day, some people do it more often) for them to show up. You definitely do not want your users accessing the admin area!

A dynamic (i.e. updated constantly) program would accomplish what you are asking, but it would make things much slower, more server intensive, and would lose most of its relevancy to search engines.

Hope this helps,
Dan
Quote Reply
Re: Problems with votes and hits In reply to
You might want to try this: Remove the hits and rating details and add them to your details template. Then install Widgetz' details.cgi. That way, link details are always up to date, regardless of when you last re-built your pages.