Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Problems with Communitech?

Quote Reply
Problems with Communitech?
Has anyone encountered problems from CommuniTech.net for using Links 2.0 on their
servers? It appears to be against their policies now! Frown
Quote Reply
Re: Problems with Communitech? In reply to
You need to contact them directly. If it is against their policies to run scripts within LINKS, then you will have to cut back on the features or MOVE to another HOSTING COMPANY.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
Actually, I was wondering if any Links users had any experiences they could share on the subject. Thanks anyway. Smile
Quote Reply
Stefen,

Why do you say that Communitech is disallowing Links 2? What has your experience been?

I'm with CT and so far haven't had a problem, but now I'm worried. Their Forum is inaccessible right now for some reason. I get a 404.

Thanks.

------------------
ARMYNAVY.COM
MilitarySurplus Ring

[This message has been edited by TrainedMonkey (edited December 02, 1999).]
Quote Reply

Quote:
Due to the consumption of system resources and overloading of the e-mail server, CommuniTech.Net forbids the use of the Gossamer Links program by any client.

It's listed under their Email/Spam policy. I just found it.

It would be nice to start a list of Hosts that are Friendly to Links. Maybe a whole new Links Support Topic-----Links Hosts.

Time to change...

------------------
ARMYNAVY.COM
MilitarySurplus Ring

[This message has been edited by TrainedMonkey (edited December 03, 1999).]
Quote Reply
This has been discussed to death in earlier threads but check here: http://www.communitech.net/about/policy.cgi . In a nutshell, their policy forbids using Links on their servers.

Dan Smile
Quote Reply
Damn them!! I have run an engine on their servers for ages, want to set up another.

That wasn't in the contract when I signed up! Are they slipping things in?

But also - notice its heading "email/spam" policy. What does it do that emails so much? If there's a problem, agree with CT to cut down/turn off emails. It doesn't seem to be the script itself.
Quote Reply
Sounds like my case to.
I am running Links2 also via reseller (even he is running one) and just recently I found that info (doesn't accept Links).
It sounds pretty sleazy.
Quote Reply
Hey All . . . Smile

Well, I have been running Links2 since I joined Communitech back in July, and this is new *news* to me.

One thought on this . . . when someone submits a link (or you add a link yourself), when validating their record you can always select 'no' for the Receive Mail option . . . that's what I do. I don't have many submitting links all too often, and enter the links I want personally.

I wonder if Communitech would have a problem with the program if users *disabled* the Receive Mail option?

I don't think we should worry unless they contact Links users . . . what do you guys think? Smile

Until Next . . .
~ Stacey Wink
Quote Reply
That is something CT can answer.
The rule they have is "simple"? lol
Due to the consumption of system resources and overloading of the e-mail server, CommuniTech.Net forbids the use of the Gossamer Links program by any client.

Take it for here and good luck. You ask! lol
I am in the same boat, but I am scarred to ask them, just in case they would terminate my account! lol
Quote Reply
Hi

I have asked CommuniTech!

Their hosting account looks great, it is a pitty they do not approve of Links.

I sent them a mail asking if they accepted Links and I got a negative answer. Then I asked if I could run it if I disabled the 'receive mail' function, but the answer was, unfortunately, you are simply not allowed to run Links at CommuntiTech at all!

(From support: "No, I am sorry but this is not permitted per out TOS/Acceptable Usage Policy/Contract.")

Mvh
Erik Ziesler

------------------
Mvh
Erik Ziesler
---
ziesler@online.no