Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Problem with Password Mod

Quote Reply
Problem with Password Mod
I am trying to install the following mod...

Password Modify for Templates
http://www.asan.com/users/phoenix/modify/

I guess I did something wrong but can't figure out what. When I attempt to 'modify a resource' (you can try it at http://www.vbexplorer.com/links/cgi-bin/modify.cgi using ID 11) entering the correct ID number will allow bring up the modification form regardless of what password is entered. The password field has "Unkown Tag: Password" in it. I see where this is in the mod code but unfortunately don't know Perl and so can't figure out what is wrong.

Two other points...I also have not installed the following script which is recommended -I don't see that this should be tripping up the code though but could be wrong..

Password 1.0 -Request password emailer
http://hostglobal.com/scripts/password.shtml

(if anyone can tell me where else to get this mod I would appreciate it as I have waited several days but have not heard back from the script authors)

The other thing is, assuming I get this to work, I'd like the user to be able to select a new password. I'm not sure if it will as written since it isn't working as is but if not and someone can tell me specifically what changes to make it would be appreciated. The reason being that since I will be transferring several hundred links to the system I will assign a default password which I imagine some of the users might want to change to one of their choosing.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to help out.

------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Problem with Password Mod In reply to
A little more info. Even though I followed the instructions I just took a peek at the links.db and it doesn't seem like there is a password field. I added the definition

Password => [14, 'alpha', 10, 10, 1, '', '']

and also the field number

$db_password = 14;

is there maybe something else that needs to be done to add that field that I may have overlooked? I'm stumped and need to get this thing posted. I appreciate your help.

------------------
Quote Reply
The saga continues. I decided to add to this as maybe some of this will help indicate what is the problem. I should say I am on an NT server in case it is important. It seems like the links.db may not be always getting updated? I opened the file there and noticed that in spite of the fact that I had uploaded the links.db file it didn't show the changes I mentioned I tried again and now it does. The script still doesn't work correctly. I tried staggered build and noticed that I also got the following error....

Couldn't rename! Had to copy. Strange: Permission denied
Done (0 s)

Updating ratings ..
Couldn't rename! Had to copy. Strange: Permission denied
Done (0 s)

Not sure if all my problems may be caused by some permissions problems?

------------------
Quote Reply
Still can't get this. When I attempt to modify a link I get "Unkown Tag: Password" in the password box. I spotted this in the template.pm file in sub parse. Can anyone please clue me if something here needs to be modified to make the password mod work?

# Replace the special variables, we allow code ref mapping.
$temp =~ s/$begin\s*(.+?)\s*$end/
if (exists $self->{'vars'}{$1}) {
ref ($self->{'vars'}{$1}) eq 'CODE' ?
&{$self->{'vars'}{$1}}($self->{'vars'}) : $self->{'vars'}{$1};
}
else { "Unkown Tag: $1"; }
/goe;

$self->{'parsed'}{$template} = $temp;

return $self->{'parsed'}{$template};
}

Burt

------------------
Quote Reply
At the risk of sounding like I'm talking to myself here's some more....

I opened the links.db and the password field is there now. It is missing the final | after the last field (password). I tried manually adding it to the file just to test and see if that solves the problem but when I try to build it removes it again -I'm guessing it copies the original because it doesn't like something. Please help. This is the last thing I need to go live and I've already spent several days fiddling with it.