Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Problem adding new links/categories and building

Quote Reply
Problem adding new links/categories and building
Hi folks,

I've been using Links 2.0 for a while and never had any problems with it, but I recently setup a new server

and had to reinstall the program and transfer over my old data files. Although everything looks and works as it should, there's a problem with building new links and categories which I'm unable to resolve and I hoped someone else might be able to help with?

Whilst I can add new links and categories, and the links do show up on the validate list, once I validate them and do a build, the same links still show up as pending in the validate listing. If I try and validate the links again, I get an error message saying the links cannot be found (as really they've already been added). Also when I add a new category, it doesn't show up in my category listing if I try and add a new link.

Now here's the strange thing... After doing several builds usually over a period of a day or so, the links are eventually updated and removed from the validate list and also the new categories appear in the listing!

Any help would be greatly appreciated :-)

Have a good christmas everyone!

amorphix

http://amorphix.idnetuk.com

Quote Reply
Re: [IDNETUK] Problem adding new links/categories and building In reply to
Hi. It sounds like a browser caching problem to me. Try, after doing the validations, having a look at the 'validate.db' file in the admin/data folder. If it is empty, then that is why you are getting those errors. I have never worked out a decent way to get around browser caching, except for deleting all my history and temp files!

Well, hope that helps a bit (and maybe solves your problem Tongue)

Oh, and have a good xmas yourself Wink

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [AndyNewby] Problem adding new links/categories and building In reply to
how about adding the no-cache pragma to the output?

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
Re: [ThatPerson1024] Problem adding new links/categories and building In reply to
I'm not sure. I tried that once (doubt i had the right format though...lol Wink) and it made no real difference. I suppose it could be worth looking into, but there has to be an easier way with the browsers settings or something! Tongue

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Control Panel > Internet Options > Temporary Internet Files > Settings > Check for newer versions of stored pages > Every Visit

Last edited by:

RedRum: Dec 24, 2001, 3:31 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] Problem adding new links/categories and building In reply to
What version of IE are you using? I have 5.5, and I cant see that menu optionanywhere Wink (the Temporary Internet Files >Settings > Check for newer versions of stored pages > Every Visitpart)

Thanks

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
It has nothing to do with your browser....the Internet Settings program is in your Windows control panel.

The Temporary Internet Files bit isn't a menu option or tab, it is just on the main screen on the Internet Options window.

Screen Shot....

Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] Problem adding new links/categories and building In reply to
Ah, thanks Smile God..i dunno how i missed it! It was right under my nose Blush

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk