Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Popular? I don't get it

Quote Reply
Popular? I don't get it
Hi,

I do not quite understand how the isPopular part works. When adding links in the admin, the only thing that determines if a link is considered popular, are the number of hits. Why can I choose if a link is popular or not, when only the number of hits will actually make a link appear with a "popular" notice.

I also read that the ispopular is AUTOMATICALLY generated by the percentage of VOTES and RATING. Not in my case?! Just the number of hits.

It's not a major problem, but I just do not understand this.

Help is appreciated!

Thanks
Gil

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/forum/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=L2Disc&Number=86599&Search=true&Forum=L2Disc&Words=popular&Match=Entire Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=50&Old=allposts

Thanks a lot!
Byebye
Gil
Quote Reply
Re: Popular? I don't get it In reply to
Popular has nothing to do with ratings or votes...its generated by hits as the default behavior. I believe Anthro just mispoke in that other thread, or perhaps linksSql works differently and he got them confused (he uses Sql now).

I'm not really sure what the purpose of a selectable popular field is in the admin because anything you put there is overridden by the hit calculation when you build (new is similarly overridden based on your settings in the config). I believe its real use is so you can see the status when reviewing the link.

If you want to artificially manipulate this field for some reason (why?), you can increase the number of hits for that link to force it to be popular.

Quote Reply
Re: Popular? I don't get it In reply to
Thanks Brad,

Glad to read your answer cause I was stuck a little with this and now I can go on. If I'd want to artificially manipulate this field It would be to generate a page with links recommended by us. I'm not using ratings, or votes on this site.

Thanks a lot!
Byebye
Gil