Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

New User - Needs Help?

Quote Reply
New User - Needs Help?
Hi I'm considering buying Links v2 and I'm about to start building a database with URL Spider pro. I was just wondering if anyone one has used this product before and may have some tips on use?

I understand that I would have to perform several different index/searches due to the various categories that my links directory would contain? Is this right or could I just do a general search, then import the data straight into Links?

Dose anyone no of any other software/scripts that can gather URLs from the web? If so could you let me know.

Innerprise also offer a script called URL indexer it can be found at http://www.innerprise.net/ui.htm I would like to know if there is a similar script available that is able to work with Links?

And finally I'm sure that it will be simple, but is it easy to up grade to Links SQL at a later date?

Many Thanks for your help,

Devs.

Quote Reply
Re: New User - Needs Help? In reply to
In Reply To:
Dose anyone no of any other software/scripts that can gather URLs from the web?
1) goFetch - integrated with Links...referenced in the Resources section and also discussed in the Links 2.0 Customization Forum and this forum. If you searched for spider links in this forum and in the Links 2.0 Customization Forum using the following search options:

a) Keywords: spider links
b) Search Options: And
c) Date Range: All posts
d) Hits: 500

you would've found threads where your questions have been addressed.

2) DMOZ RDF Parser Dump - referenced in this forum about six months ago. Although most effective with LINKS SQL.

In Reply To:
but is it easy to up grade to Links SQL at a later date?
It is getting easier...they have worked out most of the bugs associated with upgrade from flat file Links 2.0 to Links SQL 2.0 (NG). And I believe that there are a few Links 2.0 users who have successfully upgraded to the newest version of LINKS SQL. So, yes, it would be easy to upgrade...however, keep in mind that the ease of upgrade depends on the low-level of customization you add to Links 2.0. In other words, the more Mods you add to Links 2.0, the longer it will take to upgrade those Mods into LINKS SQL.

Again, this has also been discussed in this forum and in the Links SQL Next Generation Forum...I would encourage you to spend more time searching the forums for relevant Threads.

Good Luck!

Regards,

Eliot Lee