Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

NetObjects Fusion, Frontpage and Links 2.0

Quote Reply
NetObjects Fusion, Frontpage and Links 2.0
Hello,

Someone replied to this question to some degree before, so I hope they catch this one or someone else who uses an auto HTML writer like NOB or Frontpage.

I want to use NOB to edit the pages for Links 2.0 all the way or at least to some degree.
I was informed in a prior post that someone used NOB and only created headers and footers.

Has anyone used it to completely process the pages being built by Links?

Can you give me some feedback on how,without taking up to much of your time?

If only headers and footers are my option, how does one do that?

Do you assign all the Links HTML files as external HTML and just use the Master Borders in NetObjects for the rest?

Feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: NetObjects Fusion, Frontpage and Links 2.0 In reply to
If you have Front Page extensions on your server installed, you should be able to create the following files via Front Page:

1) category.html
2) cool.html
3) home.html
4) rate_top.html

with Shared Borders or I guess in NetObjects, they are called Master Borders.

Then you can upload the file with the Shared Border extensions included into your templates directory.

For your other files, you will need to create two file: (header.htm) and (footer.htm) based on codes that you have in the "Shared Borders".

There is a FAQ in the Resource Center that provides instructions for using header and footer files within LINKS template files. (But can be adapted to non-template version as well. Smile) Yes, I wrote the FAQ.

The reason you will need to create the header and footer files is that Front Page extensions and I believe extensions used in NetObjects do not work in cgi-based files (which the other files, like add.html, add_success.html, etc.), which are used to provide HTML codes for add.cgi and modify.cgi, etc.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Founder and Editor
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
http://www.anthrotech.com/
info@anthrotech.com
==========================
Coconino Community College
http://www.coco.cc.az.us/
Web Technology
Coordinator
elee@coco.cc.az.us
Quote Reply
Hi all,

I've been working at getting control over Templates with NetObjects Fusion as noted above. I would assume the same technique might be used for Microsoft Frontpage as well, but I don't use it much so I'm not sure.

I am gaining ground on controlling all aspects of the templates with the exception of a few pages that are generated and make multiple smaller pages on the same page or in other words, Search Return's, What's Cool etc, where a page full of information is written sorta dynamically.

What happens on these pages is, the banner I put at the top of the page in the master border (in NOB) is duplicated multiple times down the page when a search is returned.
Same thing on What's Cool I believe and/or similar pages such as the Primary links that are clicked from the Home page. Multiple HTML Heads and Body's.

For instance, if I select PA_Construction from the Home page and there are 20 links to sites on that page, I'll have 20 banners written down the page. etc. etc. for like pages.

If I can get control of this problem on those CGI generated pages, I'll have total control of templates inside NetObjects Fusion and it might even work for MS Frontpage. Maybe! Smile

I guess my question is, what can be edited in the CGI's or where ever and where if known, to stop the
CGI from duplicating this banner or other data I would put at the top, bottm or sides of the page?
If it's even possible and hopefully without messing other things up!

All other pages such as Home, Add, The specific Search page where the search form is
etc, are under control. (All single static pages.) (I have to give the proper reference to the GIF's and/or JPEG's
banners etc. I have added to the master border be able to see them though.

Idea's anyone?

If I ever get it to work correctly, I'll pass it on to the forum.

I'm working inside a test site, so I don't mind exploding it. (to much) Smile

Thanks,

Dave
Quote Reply
As I stated before, cgi scripts (like add.cgi, modify.cgi, and search.cgi) do NOT handle Shared Borders (Front Page) and Mastered Borders (NOB) very well. What you can do is follow the instructions in the FAQ section of the Resource Center and create copies of the top.htm and bottom.htm files located in the _borders directory, and place them in the directories you specify for the header and footer file configurations.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Founder and Editor
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
http://www.anthrotech.com/
info@anthrotech.com
==========================
Coconino Community College
http://www.coco.cc.az.us/
Web Technology
Coordinator
elee@coco.cc.az.us
Quote Reply
Hi,

One more try.

As noted in the other postings above, I am close, but not quite there.

I am able to insert all the templatea html into NetObjects 4.0. However, as mentioned, when pages are searched, or catagories are selected, the banners at the top, which I insert with NOB, get written down the pages multiple times.

Is there a way to edit the CGI writing these pages to make it stop dupeing things all the way down the page?

Thanks,

Dave