Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Moving Links...

Quote Reply
Moving Links...
What's the best way of moving links from one server to another without loosing you database/mods? I don't wanna just restart my whole site. I know if I just download everything the ftp client (even on auto) will screw up the Binary/Ansii stuff so that the html/cgi files will be messed up. Please help.

------------------
Watch out who's toes you step on today, as they could be attached to the @ss you will need to kiss tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Re: Moving Links... In reply to
If you have a program like the registered WS_FTP Pro, just enter the extentions of the files you want transfered as text -- .pl, .cgi, .db, etc.

Then, do a batch download of the main cgi-bin directory. You don't need the pages directory unless you have some local images.

When you get to your new server, use the same copy of the WS_FTP program (it will re-transfer things it mistook for binary as binary) and you should be in business.

It's kinda easy to fix mis-downloaded files. Just re-upload as binary, re-download as text. If that doesn't work, re-upload as text, and re-download as text.

It's not quite a flip flop <G>

Also, wordpad will properly read the binary text files, and can save them as text, whereas notepad can't (on windows systems).

Quote Reply
Don't forget to make sure your Perl path and cgi paths are correct in your .cgi files and links.cfg when you move. And, as someone who's moved a Links engine, expect a few bugs to pop up now and again. I think I have all of mine squashed now after 2 months of checking.
Quote Reply
I think you better do tar then upload it then do untar:

tar cvf to zip

and tar xvf for unzip