Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Modifying Templates without CSS

Quote Reply
Modifying Templates without CSS
Hi,

I upgraded to links 2.0 and use the templates option (minus CSS).

I've removed the CSS portion in the <head> </head>, because I went nuts Smile trying to modify it's appearance. It's easier now. I'm beginning to like the templates option too.

After I removed the CSS portion, the font displayed on all generated pages, now is the default "Times New Roman".

Is there some way of changing the default font for all the pages to "verdana,Arial" (without using CSS)?

I'd be grateful if you could show me what code to insert and where..Thanks!

Joe
Quote Reply
Re: Modifying Templates without CSS In reply to
I know the feeling - I killed the CSS too. Too much trouble for me, I'm just learning CGI, and really hated the look it gave the site, and I had no idea how to customize it - I've only been using CGI and Perl for a month or 2 now. I personaly prefer site_html.pl (its a lot more powerful) and try to stay away from the templates b-cuz all they do is confuse me. Anyways, here's what you do.

Right underneath the </head> tag, near the top of the document, inside the <body> tag, instert the following code:
Code:
STYLE = "font-family: Arial"

The "<body>" tag of your template(s) would look like this then:

Code:
<body STYLE = "font-family: Arial">

That should do it for ya. If you run into any problems just post back here again and I'll see if I can help @ all.

------------------
Regards,
Brian
mjordn12@aol.com
veggietales.virtualave.net/veggielink/ (MegaLinks2.0)

[This message has been edited by mjordn12 (edited February 22, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Thanks Brian,

It worked well on IE 3.0, the font display was changed uniformly to my specifications.

Unfortunately on Netscape 4, the lines generated by "$category" still displays the'Times new Roman" font. All other lines on the page, however displayed the font I specified in the <BODY> tag(Verdana).

Is there a solution to this?
Quote Reply
That depends...

You can always insert a regular font tag:
<BODY>
<FONT FACE="verdana">
your page
</FONT>
</BODY>

If you are using tables, you would also have to insert them inside of the <TD> tags.

Don't forget to check site_html_templates.pl. At the very bottom is a section for the categories listing which says they are not template based. You probably need to add some font instructions to this part of the code.

Just a side note: the "style" attribute you've added to the body tag is CSS. Browsers below N4 and IE3 will not be able to interpret this and will display the Times font anyway.