Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Mod's (any of these available ?)

Quote Reply
Mod's (any of these available ?)
1. In every category listing there would be editors choice-link in the first one of the list indicating the best link in that category chosen by the editor

2. Ratings ; besides that there is already a chance for a user to rate a link, there would be also separate rating done by the editor (and which can be only modified by the editor)

3. Reviews, if there is a review available (done by the editors), there would be a link to it after date/hits -information.
Quote Reply
Re: Mod's (any of these available ?) In reply to
1) Yep...Editor Pick Mod in the Resource Center. And the Priority Logo Mod in the Resource Center.

2) Yep...This has been discussed before in the LINKS Modification Forum and there is a FAQ in the Resource Center.

3) Yep...Reviews.cgi located in the Resource Center, and written by Widgetz. Look for the Review Mod that is linked at www.widgetz.com in the Resource Center.

Regards.

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center

[This message has been edited by AnthroRules (edited March 18, 2000).]
Quote Reply
Thanks for you advice Eliot, however I would like have more info about this one :

>2. Ratings ; besides that there is already >a chance for a user to rate a link, there >would be also separate rating done by the >editor (and which can be only modified by >the editor)

I searched through the MOD-section and found external rate-it mod, which wasn't quite what I was looking for. What I tried to say (and I'm sorry that I didn't express myself clearly enough) was that I was looking for a mod which enables users and admin's to rate a link/resource separately. There is Rating-field already in Admin panel and that should be for Admins ratings only (any visitor couldn't change this one, only the editor/admin). Then there is Rate-it link after every link in my directory, that could be accessed by visitors only (which it is already now and that's just fine). Conclusion: there would be two ratings after every link, admins/editors rating and visitors rating.

Quote Reply
In terms of simplicity, I think you might be best off to just add a new field, Admin_rate and enter your rating directly through the admin interface (make it a hidden field in the add/modify forms).

The reason I think this might be best is that most likely the Admin rating will be a one time thing, so you don't need the complexity or functionality of the user ratings.

You would simply call it in the link.html templates with something like:

<%Admin_rate%>

(being sure to declare it in site_html_templates.pl globals, of course Wink )

Dan

[This message has been edited by Dan Kaplan (edited March 19, 2000).]
Quote Reply

Quote:
being sure to declare it in site_html_templates.pl globals, of course

Dan, that is not correct. If it is a field in the links.def file, it does not have to be defined as a global variable.

Wink

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
Yes, what Dan said was just what I meant. So, any advice how to do this in practice, if new code is required then I'm gonna need help since this programming stuff goes beyond my knowledge.
Quote Reply
Oops, duh... And to think that's the part I went back and edited in! Never second guess yourself. Smile

If your database is empty, you can simply add the field in links.cfg (look over the format carefully before making changes). If you already have links in the database, you will need to use the script for adding fields, I believe it is upgrade_beta.pl?

Dan
Quote Reply

Quote:
If your database is empty, you can simply add the field in links.cfg...

What Dan meant is the links.def file.

And there is a FAQ about adding fields to your links.db file in the Resource Center.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
And what Eliot meant is that I've gone completely numb in the brain today! Smile

Maybe I should take a hiatus the rest of the day from answering any more questions... Either that, or stick to just the version of Links I'm actually using.

Dan
Quote Reply
Take a closer look at the field names... Just a guess:

'Contact Name'
isPopular
Admin rating

Anything jump out? Try 'Admin rating' or Admin_rating.

Dan
Quote Reply
I followed the instructions given in the FAQ (how to add new fields). After uploading file to server (in ASCII-mode) and when trying to access admin.cgi I get the syntax error -message near the admin rating words. Here is the beginning of my links.def file :

Code:
# Definition of your database file.
%db_def = (
ID => [0, 'numer', 5, 8, 1, '', ''],
Title => [1, 'alpha', 40, 75, 1, '', ''],
URL => [2, 'alpha', 40, 75, 1, 'http://', '^http|news|mailto|ftp'],
Date => [3, 'date', 15, 15, 1, \&get_date, ''],
Category => [4, 'alpha', 0, 150, 1, '', ''],
Description => [5, 'alpha', '40x3', 500, 0, '', ''],
'Contact Name' => [6, 'alpha', 40, 75, 1, '', ''],
'Contact Email' => [7, 'alpha', 40, 75, 1, '', '.+@.+\..+'],
Hits => [8, 'numer', 10, 10, 1, '0', '\d+'],
isNew => [9, 'alpha', 0, 5, 0, 'No', ''],
isPopular => [10, 'alpha', 0, 5, 0, 'No', ''],
Rating => [11, 'numer', 10, 10, 1, 0, '^[\d\.]+$'],
Votes => [12, 'numer', 10, 10, 1, 0, '^\d+$'],
ReceiveMail => [13, 'alpha', 10, 10, 1, 'Yes', 'No|Yes'],
Admin rating => [14, 'numer', 10, 10, 1, 0, '^[\d\.]+$']
);

Any ideas what is causing this ? This file is identical to my original links.def file, only the last row is new.
Quote Reply
Of course, thanks for the tip !!