Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Make the index in root folder

Quote Reply
Make the index in root folder
how do you make the directry appear in your main folder, as in www.footballnow.co.uk/
the pages will apear in index.
if i edit links.cfg
i get permision error
how do it do i?
thanks
marty.dunne@virgin.net
Quote Reply
Re: Make the index in root folder In reply to
Hmm, I hadn't thought of that... Well, it worked for me -- I just moved my links directories to the root level last week without problems. Must depend on the way the server treats permissions...?

Dan
Quote Reply
Is Marty referring to the directories or the home index.html page? If the latter, then you would have to chmod the root directory 0777 - at least if you build manually.

Another Dan Smile
Quote Reply
Hi Marty,

I don't think your permission error is related to your question. Sounds related to not uploading in ASCII or setting permissions on the file correctly.

Anyway, to answer your question -- yes, you can build the pages at root level as you want. Just set:

Code:
$build_root_url ="http://www.football.co.uk"

Being sure to leave off the trailing slash (/), and sest $build_root_path to the corresponding directory.

Dan

------------------
Run-Down Running Links: http://run-down.com/
Quote Reply
If you want the home page (index.html) built in your root directory then you have to chmod your root directory 0777 (drwxrwxrwx) which is NOT recommended.

Dan Smile
Quote Reply
Well, since it's just the two of us Dan's (or are we really the same one... Wink ), we might as well keep chatting.

I thought about it after my last message, and if I understand the question correctly, the way I explained it should work on any server. All that needs re-building (i.e. permission set to 777) is the index file at the root level. The directories such as New, Cool, Ratings, categories, etc. are all built directly off the root level and get their permissions set when you build.

What I'm not sure about is if all servers will let you do this without building under a directory such as domain.com/links/ that is already chmod 777.

This actually brings me to what I originally wanted to do when I moved the links to root level. Smile I had hoped to build the index page as the main entrance, but to have all the other pages built a level down. Thus, the heirarchy would be something like:

domain.com/index.html
domain.com/links/New/
domain.com/links/Cool/
domain.com/links/Category1/
etc.

But to do that the index page would have to be built at domain.com/links/index.html... The only real reason I wanted to do this is to keep from having so many directories right off the root for simplicity's sake. Any way to modify the build procedure to allow for this, or would it be too complicated?

"Dan"