Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Losing categories from validate window?

Quote Reply
Losing categories from validate window?
I recieve the e-mail from an individual submitting a link. The e-mail states what category that would like to be submitted too. However, when I go to the administration panel to validate the link, the category is missing and I must reselect it using the drop down window. I upgraded from 1.1. Is it something I did?

Mark F.
http://www.pcmodeler.com
Quote Reply
Re: Losing categories from validate window? In reply to
What tags are using for the Category in the add form?

What is the name of your Category field in the admin console?

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Founder and Editor
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
http://www.anthrotech.com/
info@anthrotech.com
==========================
Coconino Community College
http://www.coco.cc.az.us/
Web Technology
Coordinator
elee@coco.cc.az.us
Quote Reply
Don't worry about this. It happens to me all the time. I think it happens because someone is using some sort of submission program and they either put in a mis-spelled or non-existent category name. The program then somehow feeds the data directly to the add.cgi program without going throught the add form.
Quote Reply
I too have upgraded to 2.0 from 1.11 and although the selected category appears in the add resource confirmation page and the email notification, it does not appear in the validation window in admin. I do know that it is not caused by people using a submission program because it is happening to all submissions as well as my own test submissions...so...what "is" wrong and how do I fix it?

Thanks
Quote Reply
And it is only happening with old categories. If I create a new category and submit a link to that category, it works fine.

------------------
Mark Fergel
www.pcmodeler.com
Quote Reply
If this is a problem with the upgrade, I think that there may be differences in category formats between 1.1 and 2.0. You may have to modify the Categories or conduct a Check Category in your LINKS MANGER console to see if there are any problems with your categories.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
Ahha! Found it. When I upgraded, it seems I cleaned out the "NULL" in the categories.db a little too well, as I removed the "|"s that went with them. I tried adding a new category, went in and looked at the categories.db and saw that it added 6 "|" on the end, i.e. Ugly_Cars/Pacer| || || | so, I went in and found an unaltered copy of my old categories.db and removed ONLY the NULL's and now everything works fine, and it also solved the "Unkown Tag: Category" in the email sent to the submitter upon validation.

PS - there are no spaces between the "|" in my example above, but when I post this message, the spaces magically appear Smile

[This message has been edited by Catriona (edited December 22, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Catriona (edited December 22, 1999).]