Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Links works... then it doesnt.... then it does....

Quote Reply
Links works... then it doesnt.... then it does....
For no obvious reason Links seems to just stop working. I've read the posts on this and yes it all works again when I rebuild the pages but there's obviously a problem.
I add some links, build the pages, everything works ok. I log off, go to sleep/have dinner/whatever and when I come back none of the cgi scripts work - I get the 'do you want to download this file' dialogue mentioned somewhere else even though I've not touched the site in the meantime. I rebuild the pages and then it all works again. This has happened several times.
Also someone reports the following error message when trying to add a site:

Error including libraries: Can't locate e:\home\soccerlinks.co.uk\web\_cgi\links\admin/db_utils.pl in @INC (@INC contains: e:\home\soccerlinks.co.uk\web\_cgi\links c:/Perl/lib c:/Perl/site/lib .) at e:\home\soccerlinks.co.uk\web\_cgi\links\add.cgi line 31.

Make sure they exist, permissions are set properly, and paths are set correctly.

Can anyone point out what I'm doing wrong here as I'm going to throw this 'puter thru the window in a minute

Quote Reply
Re: Links works... then it doesnt.... then it does.... In reply to
Since you are on a Windows server, you need to make sure that you have the following codes for the require links.cfg file....

Code:

require "e:/home/soccerlinks.co.uk/web/_cgi/links/admin/links.cfg";

AND in your links.cfg file, make sure that you have the following configurations:

Code:

$db_script_path = "e:/home/soccerlinks.co.uk/web/_cgi/links";
$build_root_path = "e:/home/soccerlinks.co.uk/web/links";

Regards,

Eliot

Quote Reply
Thanks, I think I had the wrong paths in the links.cfg file. What I don't understand is surely it should either work or not work? That's ok then since you know whether it's fixed. At the moment I've made some changes now I have to wait and see if it still works in a few hours time. Ah well

Quote Reply
I just worked out that all the cgi scripts stop working every time I open a new browser window. Thats a wierd one. Back to the drawing board :-(

Quote Reply
Well, since you are hacking the scripts...you should keep a detailed history file of all the changes you make, so that you can start de-bugging your mistakes on your own or at least have a rough idea what may be causing the problem. In addition, it would be a wise idea to add inline comment lines in your scripts above changes you make, like the following:

Code:

# Modified paths on 08/02/00
# Relevant Mod/Thread: (456476) - Links 2.0 Customization Forum
# Mod Author: John Doe

Regards,

Eliot

Quote Reply
Yeah point taken. I haven't hacked the scripts though. It seems to be a problem with the password protection that my ISP put in place so I just have to wait for them to sort it out.