Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Links won't show in the category template

Quote Reply
Links won't show in the category template
Hi, i designed a custome template for the categories.

Now, the default template works perfect. It shows all links available.

When i used a custome temp, it don't work at all. Even if I cut and paste the "exact" tags from the default template into the middle table on my custom one.

I just don't understand it. I can download others templates that are on the faqs section, and they work fine. The default works fine. But if i try to cut and paste anyone of them, with the exact tags included, it don't show at all on mine. Very frustrating.

Is there certain tags in the head section, or body section that have to be their? I've compared the two over and over and can't find no differences in them, and just can't figure it out.

Now my custom home template works perfect. With the only tag being "category". But when i create the category template, which is excatly the same as my home plate, with all the extra tags inside the middle table, NOTHING shows under the links. The realated links, and link title show, but not the links. =((((

I even included the tage for the title: <title><%site_title%> : <%category_clean%></title>

and the tags for the table body are:

<p><font face="Arial, Helvetica" size="2">You are in the <%title_linked%>
Category</font></p>
<p><%category%> <%endif%> </p>
<p> <font face="Arial,Helvetica" size="-1"><%if links%> </font>
<font face="Arial,Helvetica" size="-1"> <%links%> <%endif%> </font>
<p><font face="Arial,Helvetica" size="-1"><font face="Arial,Helvetica" size="-1">
<%if prev%> </font></font><font size="2" face="Arial,Helvetica"><a href="<%prev%>">Prev
<%build_links_per_page%></a> <%endif%> <%if next%> <a href="<%next%>">Next
<%build_links_per_page%></a> <%endif%>

</font>
<p> <font face="Arial,Helvetica" size="-2"><%if related%> </font>
<p><font face="Arial,Helvetica" size="-2"><%related%> <%endif%> </font></p>

Please help if you can. Thx. I've search high and low, and not sure if it has something to do with the build script. But again, the default works fine, and even when i cut and paste the tags from their into my custom, it don't work. GRRRRRRR...

Thx

Quote Reply
Re: Links won't show in the category template In reply to
As discussed before in the forums (and also there is FAQ in the Resource Center that addresses this problem)...

You need to have your tags on SEPARATE lines, like the following:

Code:

<%if category%>
<%category%>
<%endif%>

NOT like you have:

Code:

<%if category%>
<%category%><%endif%>

OR

You could download the Enhanced Template.pm code hack linked in the Modification section of Links in the Resource Center that will allow you to have tags on the same line, like the following:

Code:

<%if category%><%category%><%endif%>

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
wow....that was easy....thx alot....

i messed with that for almost 2 days....

One more question, if you would.

Is there any way to make the templates a shtml extension so i can use SSI? makes it much easier for editing banners and such. I know how to make all the the other pages it creates using the shtml extension, but how about the regular templates?

That would be nice, so i wouldn't have to update every template everytime a banner needs changed.

Thx.

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Is there any way to make the templates a shtml extension so i can use SSI? I know how to make all the the other pages it creates using the shtml extension, but how about the regular templates?
You could try replacing your extensions in the site_html_templates.pl to be .shtml rather than link.html. Then edit your template files to be something like link.html.

I would test this with the sub site_html_category in the site_html_templates.pl file and the category.html first before making mass edits to your files and then finding out it doesn't work.

Regards,

Eliot Lee