Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Links v Indexfinger

Quote Reply
Links v Indexfinger
Hi all,

While I not even thinking about going to buy Indexfinger, I was quite interested to hear in how better Links really is and the features that links has and Indexfinger does not and visa versa.

I noted that Indexfinger shows quite a bit of stats from there system. I really would like loads more control in admin side of things, which megalinks did go about doing.

I just wondered if we would have stats etc in the new links and are we having more control from links admin.

Hopefully this will help to point our links downfalls (if any) and start the development of a new breed of links mods and add-ons.

Martin
Quote Reply
Re: Links v Indexfinger In reply to
I have been comparing the two products in the last week or so and communicating with the listed Installers as well. My vote is still pending but an interesting comment I received from an IF installer was "Links is pretty good, but that lacks features that wont be added.... I would go with IF overall... its constantly being updated... new features are being added everyday".

Personally, I am not sure which way to go. I just read various messages here and noticed the sentiment on these BBs that IF has sort of stolen the concepts from Links and is now coming out with one better.

Any comments.
Quote Reply
well, according to that product's old comparison chart, it had lots of things that Links didn't have, which was pure bullshit. So my advice would be to ignore it.

I'd also recommend looking at the rating pages for each product (and also the other product's Lite version rating) and look at what users have to say.

--Mark

------------------
You can reach my by ICQ at UID# 8602162

Quote Reply

Quote:
I just read various messages here
and noticed the sentiment on these BBs that IF has sort of stolen the concepts from Links

The reason Links and Ultimate Bulletin Board will always be better is that their creators have a worthy vision (idea) of how their product should be.

As unoriginal imitation products are developed, they get further and further away from the original vision (idea) which made the originals great.

Anyone can make a cheap knock-off and run with it. I, for one, will not chase them.

I like where Links and UBB are going and trust they will continue to grow/go in the right direction.
Quote Reply
Index Finger has the following weakness :-

(1) No search facilities in admin area
(2) No change form (modify url form in links)
(3) Cannot check for duplicate
(4) Some of the processes use too much of server resources
(5) Validation process is much slower