Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Links script changing permissions on links.db

Quote Reply
Links script changing permissions on links.db
Everytime I run nph-build.cgi from either the Web or command line, it changes the permissions on links.db from read/write by all, to read-only. And...to make it worse, if I forget to change them back, I lose any sites that I'm trying to validate.
I'm running the script on a PII with Solaris. Any ideas would be most welcome.
Quote Reply
Re: Links script changing permissions on links.db In reply to
look in FAQ of resource center.. if you can't find resource center.. go into Links Discussion.. and click the link below the title..

jerry
Quote Reply
Stupid me. I couldn't find it on my first pass through the FAQ, but your pointer helped me out. Got right to it, added the line of code, and, of course, everything works fine.
*sheesh*
I'm a completist, though. I like to know (whenever possible) why something's happened.
The permissions weren't changing for the last several months. Two weeks ago, I had to replace the server. Everything was copied from one server to the next -- no changes other than hardware.
Could that have been what was causing the script to act differently?

David
Quote Reply
the changes are made cause when you modify or delete a link.. the reason is.. it reads all the links and exclude the line you are deleting.. or edits the line you are modifying.. then recreates the file by inputting the data all into the file.. so it pretty much changed permissions to 644 and the ownership to {nobody)

jerry
Quote Reply
I make the mode to nph-build, but am still loosing ownership. Starts off when ownership being mine, but after I run nph-build, ownership is: nobody

fix?
Quote Reply
In order to retain ownership, you need to build via telnet. Check the Installation and Modification forums for Topics related to building via telnet.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
anthrotech.com
* Check Resource Center
* Thinking out of the box (codes) is not only fun, but effective.

Quote Reply
But is the ownership being changed to nobody a problem? Is Links supposed to work that way, if so, then no problem. The earlier problem of permissions being left in a state that links.db couldn't be updated *was* a problem, but it now being owned by nobody .. is that expected Links and won't present a problem next time I update links.db?

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
But is the ownership being changed to nobody a problem?
Yes...if you want to re-build your directory via telnet.

In Reply To:
Is Links supposed to work that way, if so, then no problem.
When you build from the web browser, yes...that is the way it is supposed to work. It is not unique to LINKS...any script that is initiated via the web browser and builds files or directories, the owner of them will default to nobody.

In Reply To:
The earlier problem of permissions being left in a state that links.db couldn't be updated *was* a problem, but it now being owned by nobody .. is that expected Links and won't present a problem next time I update links.db?
Again...refer to my previous response...it will not pose a problem unless you want to build your directory via telnet and/or Cron (which is through telnet).

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
Web: http://www.anthrotech.com/