Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Links not using all templates

Quote Reply
Links not using all templates
Hello

After installation of links we created separate template-files for add,new,cool ect to adjust links to the look of the page.
Additionally we want the navigation, header, and footer to be added via shtml. Knowing that shtml within a cgi is not possibe we followed the work around that was posted in this forum.
This works fine for the main page and all other pages that are created via cgi.

Links seems to have problems when building the directory pages by using some of the templates. The build script alway failes with a 500 errror in any of the build modes.

Now we switched back to the supplied integrated template and links build the pages. Even here we got a 500 error but the pages existed. Unfortunately not using shtml.

We reviewed for correct chmod of files and dirs, as well as upload in ascii mode.

Is there a workaround to get links to use the templates (with the shtml workaround) for building the directory pages.

we really hope that someone can save our weekend.

thx for any help

Quote Reply
Re: Links not using all templates In reply to
In Reply To:
This works fine for the main page and all other pages that are created via cgi.
The main page isn't cgi generated.

If you want to use a header and footer on every page you would be much better making a new tag.

In site_html_templates.pl add this to the globals at the top.....

header => &header

Then add......

sub header {

$output = qq| THIS IS A HEADER |;
return $output;

}

Then wherever you put <%header%> - THIS IS A HEADER will appear.

Paul Wilson.
Installations:
http://www.wiredon.net/gt/
Quote Reply
Thanks for your advice,
you are right the main page is not cgi created, to be exact this (new.html, cool.html, top_rated.html, category.html ,search.html ,result.html) are the templates the program doesen't use.

And i frear the I'm not skilled enough to put header, side-menue and footer, in the site_html_templates.pl, to make it look like our standart page.

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
(new.html, cool.html, top_rated.html, category.html ,search.html ,result.html) are the templates the program doesen't use.
Im not sure what you mean....Links2 uses all of them.

If you copy the example I gave it should be easy to do - you just make a footer and sidebar sub like the example I gave and put the html between qq| |;

Then insert the tags into the templates.

Paul Wilson.
Installations:
http://www.wiredon.net/gt/
Quote Reply
Read the MANY Threads about headers footers in the Links 2.0 Customization Forum....expanded codes for doing what you want have already been posted before.

Regards,

Eliot Lee