Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Links gone slooooow (in places)

Quote Reply
Links gone slooooow (in places)
I know I will have to investigate this further myself, but this is just in the hope that someone may have gone through the same, and be able to short circuit it.

Suddenly - and without anything (known) changing in my setup - users have started to have a performance problem with adding a resource to my site. The addition is being made, but the script times out in the browser before it gets to the part where it tells them so.
In the admin script, validating/deleting a resource has the same effect - the action is performed, but the end of the script doesn't get reached.
Other scripts or routines - build process, add/delete categories, search, etc - are all fine.
Other scripts on the site are fine.
My hosting company says it can see no problems.
I've checked that none of the files seem to have ballooned out of size.
... and it's a small (100+) directory.

Any clues or pointers before I start ripping things apart?

Stewart
Quote Reply
Re: Links gone slooooow (in places) In reply to
How many users are trying to add links at the same time? If a lot, that is your problem.

Solution...Make sure that you have the $db_flock variable set to 1 in the links.cfg file.

In terms of validating links, if you have a lot of links to validate, then that is the root cause of the "slow" processing.

Solution...Copy the links in the validate.db file and paste them into your links.db off-line using a text editor.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center
* Thinking out of the box (codes) is not only fun, but effective.
Quote Reply
Thanks Eliot

Good suggestions, but it's not that obvious I'm afraid.

I'm using flock, but it's highly unlikely even more than 1 person will be adding at the same time - and I'm typically only validating and/or deleting 1 or 2 entries at a time.

So, I'm trying to follow the process of the script - after the "work" has been done (add the submission to the validate queue, do the transfer under admin) what key tasks are happening - especially those involving external files (the biggest candidate for this problem I think) - that could be getting bogged down to this extent?

Stewart
Quote Reply
Welp...I have provided you all the suggestion s I have at this time...

Best of luck figuring out the solution.

See ya.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center
* Thinking out of the box (codes) is not only fun, but effective.
Quote Reply
Just to wrap this up for future reference, the archives, and anyone with a similar problem.

While still in chin stroking mode, and reluctant to change any code (even for diagnostics) the problem disappeared - confirming my original suspicion that it was something on my hosts server that was acting up.

Not that they have admitted anything of course =:>