Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Links for Dummies

Quote Reply
Links for Dummies
I wish there was such a site! Although I have installed Links ok with the help of my ISP my head is spinning now trying to think how to password protect it (on NT server) and get the pages looking the way I want. Yes I know there's loads of info available but it all assumes a basic knowledge that dummies like me just don't have. I don't know how to customise my pages to look a certain way, even when I find a file (mod?) I don't know where to put it and I'm scared stiff of messing up my installation by playing with things I know nothing about. Sigh! css and templates are a mystery, I've always used FrontPage :-( Yes, I know but I just wanted to get a site up, not make a career out of it. www.linksfordummies.com would be brilliant, until then I guess I'll just have to go the pub :-)

Quote Reply
Re: Links for Dummies In reply to
Just about all the information and help you need is here! Smile

There are other resources to: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...urces/Links/Support/. If you're looking for the answer to a specific problem search the forums and resource sections first, then come here and post something.

If you want to protect your admin.cgi do a search on ADMIN PASSWORD MOD.

Martin Webster
--
Cebidae's UK Internet Resource
http://www.cebidae.co.uk/
Quote Reply
Thanks Martin.. I've seen the admin password mod... I've searched the forum... perhaps that's the problem as even if I knew how to install this mod (which I don't) I've seen other posts on the forum that says you can't password protect files on a NT server without the use of 3rd party software.
I know you guys do a brilliant job trying to help us dummies but being told to search the forum just adds to the confusion since the more you read the more you know you don't know :-)
That's why I was wishing there was one single resource that explained things from the point of view of someone like me who had never even seen a cgi file before this morning. I'm thinking Links is too complicated to set up :-(

Quote Reply
There are also a few FAQ's and help pages for each template in your admin program.

--Drew