Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Links and Links SQL new and old versions, prices...

Quote Reply
Links and Links SQL new and old versions, prices...

Quote:
Gossamer Threads has stopped developing the flat file system of LINKS. They are concentrating on the SQL version. (AnthroRules)
www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/forum/resources/Forum11/HTML/000646.html

Eliot, I hope this is only now and not forever (I don't know). Links SQL seems to be a great software, but it's $450 US. (And much more if you need several copies for different domains).

Although this is just an opinion, I think that for *most* people the mental barrier for this products is around $100. Probably few customers remain beyond this, comparatively. Many times, real profits are larger with more popular prices. (10 x 100 > 1 x 450, but I can be wrong, naturally). Wink

A possibility would be to have some version in the *middle* price. For example, Links 2.0 free, Links SQL 1.11 $99, and the next version of Links SQL, that seems to be near, $450 (and a free or not expensive upgrade for old Links SQL customers).

This is just one of the many possible ideas. (If the Links development stops and only the $450 Links SQL remains, just impossible price for many...). I would like to know the point of view of other people (and Alex's, if he has plans about this point).

[This message has been edited by Juan G (edited May 11, 2000).]
Quote Reply
Re: Links and Links SQL new and old versions, prices... In reply to
Your best bet is to contact Alex directly and bring up your issues.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
anthrotech.com
* Check Resource Center
* Thinking out of the box (codes) is not only fun, but effective.

Quote Reply
Maybe you are right, Eliot, sorry.

I was just thinking about my worries on the non-SQL Links version stopping its development. I hope some popular version of Links will continue, but this is Gossamer's business, of course.
Quote Reply
That is correct...Ultimately, they are the ones to make the decision about which scripts to improve and which ones to discontinue.

BTW: Alex and his staff are diligently working on the new LINKS SQL version and also upgrading the DBMAN SQL and DBMAN scripts. It seems like Links 2.0 is lowest on its list of priorities.

Sorry...but again, to get the most accurate answer...you should really contact Alex directly. Be aware that his email backlogs a lot and he may not get back to you in awhile.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
anthrotech.com
* Check Resource Center
* Thinking out of the box (codes) is not only fun, but effective.

Quote Reply
i thought it costs you 300$ to upgrade from links2 to links sql. am i wrong?
Quote Reply
theguy, as you say, the upgrade is $300 if you purchased a license for Links before June 7/99 ($375 after). Normal price is $450. A new version of Links SQL is expected soon, I think.

Links SQL
www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/links-sql
www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/resources/Links_SQL

[This message has been edited by Juan G (edited May 12, 2000).]