Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Links 3.0?

Quote Reply
Links 3.0?
I was wondering when Links 3.0 is coming out?...I am a little impatient I know but I would love to hear about what new trinkets the programmers got for us Smile

Anyone know anything about the new version?...Or what features it may have? Or maybe suggestions for new features?

------------------
Shawn Muder aka King Of Chaos

www.realmsofevil.com
Quote Reply
Re: Links 3.0? In reply to
You might want to consider contacting Alex directly and ask him about the next release of LINKS. However, since the LINKS SQL version was recently released, I don't anticipate the next release of the standard LINKS package to occur any time in the near future.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Founder and Editor
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
http://www.anthrotech.com/
info@anthrotech.com
==========================
Coconino Community College
http://www.coco.cc.az.us/
Web Technology
Coordinator
elee@coco.cc.az.us
Quote Reply
I have e-mailed him several times but he chooses to ignore my e-mails...so I thought I would post this on the message board

------------------
Shawn Muder aka King Of Chaos

www.realmsofevil.com
Quote Reply
He's indicated that his main priority with Links would be to rewrite the code to make it compatible with LinkSQL, so that mods could be used between the two.

That would also make Links 2.0 mod_perl compatible, and pull the database code out so that essentially the difference between the two versions would be the database module.

It's possible, and the code rewrite would improve Links 2.0 in readability alone.

But, Alex seems to have been busy or away the past few days, since he just started answering forum messages again. Be patient -- cyberspace seems immediate, but it still maps onto real lives.

Quote Reply
I do answer every email I get (which is a lot). I had a quick look and can't find any from you Shawn? Can you resend?

As for the next version of Links, it will be a while yet. We are planning a major release of Links SQL next week, followed by two major brand new scripts shortly.

After that, sorely needed updates to DBMan and Links 2.0 are next on schedule. =)

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
I hope one of those is the Webmail script. Alex, did you get mine about the search, and the way the toolbar and categories are displayed?
Quote Reply
Hi Alex,

Will the updated version of links 2.0 have a specified category result return such as the 20 links per page return in the links.cfg file?

Some search results on my site, return 45 categories along with the 20 links per page.

Will there be something implemented in the links.cfg (links - update) file so the administration can specify only 10-15 categories per page along with the 10-20 links per page?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [>>]

Thanks Alex
Quote Reply
gerardo,

Bmxer and other LINKS users are working on a spanning search result page mod that will do what you are requesting.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Founder and Editor
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
http://www.anthrotech.com/
info@anthrotech.com
==========================
Coconino Community College
http://www.coco.cc.az.us/
Web Technology
Coordinator
elee@coco.cc.az.us
Quote Reply
I know Eliot, I was just wondering if he was going to add this into future versions. I'm not always sure he's able to view all forums as Alex is a very busy guy :-)

Gerardo
Quote Reply
He knows about me trying this, and he said that its not an easy mod, or a quick mod, so it will probably be a while as i have put that on hold, because i just finished my hold links mod, and am getting stuff ready for geturl.cgi, I'm gonna have to look more into the math or building the toolbars. Actually, If i remember what i was doing correctly, I got the toolbar to print the nh's like what would have been 10 pages with 20 categories and 100 links, with maxhits as 10, would be 12 pages, but i'm stuck with printing only 10 categories on the first page and then the rest on the 2nd. As of now it prints all the categories out. When i get back to this, probably later on today, I'll ask Widgetz about helping me, if he's not too busy, because i know he is. As is Alex.
Quote Reply
I hope one of the new scripts is the BBS system. I've been looking forward to see how Alex handles that!

At any rate, all the Gossamer-Threads scripts are top notch!

------------------
The Crowe crowe@charter.net
www.lit.org Links Engine for Writing on the net!

[This message has been edited by Crowe (edited September 21, 1999).]
Quote Reply
There are already two great bbs systems out. Ultraboard http://www.ultrascripts.com and Ultimate Buletin Board http://www.ultimatebb.com . No need for another.
Quote Reply
I don't like Ultrascripts bbs.. Sure it looks nice, but its just too chaotic for me.

UBB is great, but I like discus, Especially the new beta..

But thats besides the point. Alex mentioned he was working on one. And lets face it, there are TONS of links scripts out there, and this is the best links program there is. Alex, and Gossamer-Threads has some of the Highest quality and most configurable scripts around. And lets not forget this awesome user forum and user addons! Thats why I'm eager to see Alex's bbs.

I haven't changed FORUM software because I knew one day Alex would takle it, He and I talked about it in E-mail. I don't know if this is one of the forthcoming scripts, but my fingers are crossed!

------------------

Quote Reply
There are only a few scripts out there that are like links:
Hyperseek Search Engine
Index Finger Pro Edition
MGK Links
iLink
LinkMatic Web Directory
WebIndex
Super Site Searcher
PerlHoo
Master Index
FreeLink
The Scripts Home: WebSearch

What do you want in your message board? There is not much left after you go over everything the ultraBoard, and UltimateBB cover.

Jim

Quote Reply
Who knows what Alex is doing, for all anyone knows, he could be making it be totally integrated into a links system or more.
Quote Reply
Now that, i would not mind. that would be a good mod.
Quote Reply
Jimz:

Well, I like the way Alex does his scripts. They are VERY customizable.

I like supporting Gossamer-Threads. I've just liked them since I first downloaded a script from them. This forum is also a big reason I like Gosssamer. The users do so much for the programs!

As for what I would like in a bbs? Well, UBB and Ultra don't come close. Noone's does. Here's my List of things it could do:

Login REQUIRED.
Last (X) Users
Oneliners.
Top Posters
Post to Login Ratio
Template customization
Auto Archiving
Private Topics/Boards
Mutliple Board support with ONE script (Not just topics, Entire BBS)
E-Mail Users
List Users
Superior Moderator Support

Thats just a few things off the top of my head. Trust me, I wrote a 3 page WANT list for my "ULTIMATE" bbs script. Once I get better with CGI, I'll do it myself. Until then, I like Discus. When and If Alex ever does on, it has my support. I do this for fun, no other reason. My sites are Hobby sites, but I get plenty of visitors. I just love the technical aspect of running a site, and I like digging into CGI scripts.

As for UBB and Ultimate, I just don't like the 2 enought to switch to them. I do like both, both are very customizable. But I had discus running before I ever saw them, and I'm going to stick with it until Alex does his, or I start from scract with my web sites. Whichever comes first.

------------------