Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Link Add Ons

Quote Reply
Link Add Ons
Hello,
I am a CGI-Developer and I have written several add-ons for hyperseek search engine. I am planning to port them to Links. But before spending my time, I want to get some feedback about the add-ons. the address is at:
http://turkiyem.com/turkscripts/

------------------
Turk Scripts
turkiyem.com/turkscripts/
Quote Reply
Re: Link Add Ons In reply to
Hyperfetch...something like this is being worked on by Bmxer. And there are other Spidering available for LINKS.

Yahoo Converter...already completed with a RDF dump utility for LINKS SQL.

RDF Converter...again, completed for LINKS SQL.

Email Updater...Decent Mod...has NOT been done for LINKS.

Did I miss any?

Hope this helps.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
The yahoo converter and rdf converter are both nice (I think, haven't installed). But the problem is that with Links2.0 you can not have more than 8-10,000 links.

If you can port them to be used with Links sql for the same price, with detailed instructions, then it would be a really useful tool to create a category database such as arts, health or business which can have links extracted from both yahoo and domoz. If so, I would buy them. Also, the hyperfetch is good but if can be used with links sql.
Quote Reply
Hello,
Thanks for your comments.
My version of Yahoo converter and RDF converter lets you extract only a selected category and its subcategories only (eg. "Sports" category). Also lets you search for keywords, and extract related categories; and some other features are available. These can be helpful for sites with 2000-3000 links and specialized in a specific topic.
Are the current tools for Links have these features?

------------------
Turk Scripts
Quote Reply
Bmxer is working on this type of spider script...Go ahead if you don't have a problem duplicating efforts. Or the better approach may be to contact Bmxer directly to collaborate efforts.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply

Quote:
My version of Yahoo converter and RDF converter lets you extract only a
selected category and its subcategories only (eg. "Sports" category).

Yeah, I know. But see for a category like business there are 100,000 links. If I want to have my own database, I would rather have all those as currently I am using the parser to parse and present the dmoz pages. But dmoz server is not very reliable, especially for searches.

Also, you have too long descriptions and keywords being extracted from your spider and I think you should chop them to reduce the server space. I don't think what Bmxer has so far is as extensive as what you have.

I like what you have as it gives an option to extract links from the deepest subcategories. But don't get excited because we will not be able to pay if you jack up your price or anything as we are all bootstrappers here. So, rule #1 fill the need with your product. #2 know your customers #3 keep the price affordable and the support available (support is very important for these products as we are dealing with a third party and as they change you have to be ready to change your scripts).

When it is complete and if you have good support I may consider buying it for the current pricing.

Quote Reply
I started on this during this week, so don't talk about extensive yet. I've barely done anything yet. It functions now thats it. I just have to port it to links.

I'm guessing his Hyperfetch has been out for a while. How much does it cost anyway? I was gonna release my mod <Unknown Name> for free.

------------------
LookHard Search
lookhard.hypermart.net
Lavon Russell

Quote Reply
to: sokrates
For example: You can use "Business/E-Commerce" category to create an ecommerce search engine. It has only 1200 links. There is no restriction on how deep you define the starting subcategory.

I am not very familiar with Links users. I was a hyperseek user for a year and I think the addons are priced reasonable for hypersek users. I don't think I can have two different prices for hyperseek and Links users. It won't be fair.
And I think, since I am writing add-ons for commercial products, it is ok to charge for them. The important thing is not to overcharge I guess.

------------------
Turk Scripts
Quote Reply
If you can make those add-ons compatible with Links 2.0 not just the SQL I would be very interested. I'm looking for a tool that will allow me to build the kind of niche portal that you are describing.
Both your hyper-fetch and the converter tools would be of interest to me if as I said it was compatible with Links 2.0.

------------------
ccunet
Quote Reply
ccunet,

You do understand the limitations of LINKS 2.0 with regards to quantity of links in your directory. If you do use any type of Spidering type of Mod to collect URLs, your maximum amount of links can only be around 5,000 in the flat file system of LINKS 2.0.

That is why this type of spidering Mod is better for LINKS SQL.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
Eliot,
I fully understand that. 5,000 links would be a OK db right now. I'm working on a specialized niche oriented directory. Once I have that up and running I can pursue the SQL version when I am ready to expand.

------------------
ccunet
Quote Reply
Bmxer,
are yours ready yet? just can't wait to have it. wooaaa...
Quote Reply
no, its not ready yet, maybe by the end of this month

------------------
LookHard Search
lookhard.hypermart.net
Lavon Russell