Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Legality of Translate

Quote Reply
Legality of Translate
I'm using the Translate mod like most people, but what gives us the right to use this hack into AltaVista translator service?
Do you think AV would have a problem with this.
Quote Reply
Re: Legality of Translate In reply to
If you attempt to profit using this code hack , then it is infringement of copyright. Profit meaning that you re-sell the script under your own name or your company's name.

The best thing to do is put a reference statement in the translation form pages or reference somewhere in your site that you are using the Babelfish service to do the site translations.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
anthrotech.com
* Check Resource Center
* Thinking out of the box (codes) is not only fun, but effective.

Quote Reply
This is what I have done, but if the site in which uses the service was sold on, the mode(hack) would not go with it as selling a site with this feature would be part of the "sale deal" and thus profit made from the service.

I wounded if any one had been approached by AV on this, although I expect not, as we would have heard about that on this forum!

Thanks for answering.
Quote Reply

Quote:
I wounded if any one had been approached by AV on this, although I expect not, as we would have heard about that on this forum!

Nope....

If you credit Altavista as providing the Translation service, then that would save you some grief later on. As I stated, if you "brand" the script as your own with no mention or credit given to the original source, and you "re-sell" the script strictly under your "brand", then you are in for a world of trouble.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
anthrotech.com
* Check Resource Center
* Thinking out of the box (codes) is not only fun, but effective.