Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Hypermart delete accounts

Quote Reply
Hypermart delete accounts
Hi,

I just read about a guy whos account was deleted because he was using to much cpu resources. He was using dbman, & had about 1000 visitors/day.
I also noticed that alot of links on this message board to hypermart accounts does not exist anymore.
So my questions is: Is Links 2 using that much cpu time too ?
Can I start my own domain with links 2 without worrying if my site will be closed one day because of that ?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Hypermart delete accounts In reply to
A lot of Hypermart accounts get deleted because they are personal pages, and Hypermart has distinct policies against that sort of thing. If you must use a free account that offers CGI, try VirtualAve at http://www.virtualave.net

G.
Quote Reply
I am using Links 2 on Hypermart and here is what I suggest. Usually on free servers your account can be deleted for any reason (my was deleted once). Possible solution: buy your own domain from some NIC and even if the account is deleted it wouldn't do you much harm, of course you need to make regular backups.

terry
www.ukrania.com

[This message has been edited by terryhot (edited July 20, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Thanks for your replies :-)

I am looking for a server (not free), and in their terms they usualy says, that if you are using more than than x% bla bla of cpu time, they will bill you for the extra resources.

Do you know if links 2 actually is using much cpu time, or is there nothing to fear ?

Thanks
Quote Reply
It depends on how busy your site is.

Links is driving my site, and even with all my testing, constant building, and other scripts total server load has been trivial, and all my scripts are using flat-file databases (which are cpu pigs).

For most free hosts, they look at CPU time vs traffic. If they are getting loads of page hits, they will allow more CPU time than if they get fewer page hits (advertising).

On paid hosting companies, they have different arrangements, and you need to work it out with them. Legitimate companies will work with you, rather than cut you off, as long as you have an agreement.

If you are using enough CPU to cause concern, you should be generating enough traffic to pay for it. If not, you should seriously consider the purpose of the project. Nobody is going to let you burn CPU time if they aren't getting paid for it (either page views/advertising or cash).
Quote Reply
Ok, Thanks alot....
Quote Reply
With Links 2.0 the only things that use major cpu time would be building the pages and the search. Once the pages are built they are static and only need to be served not processed, unless of course you're using a SSI banner program for each page.

Dan O.