Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

How To Create index.html

Quote Reply
How To Create index.html
Hi All,

I am a new to all those cgi things and i have a question which you may think stupid, but i really need help with it:

How can i create the "index.html" pages for all those directory that need it? for example, index.html for each category, for the home page ect.

thanks,
Kathy
Quote Reply
Re: How To Create index.html In reply to
All html pages and directories are automatically built when you click on Build Pages! You edit the look of the pages by editing the templates.

John
Quote Reply
hi John,

thank you very much for answering my question.

but when i try to click "build all" in admin, it shows out:
unable to locate: /......../index.html Reason: Permission Denied
(i think it's something like that, i can remember what it exactly shows)

Is there any reason for that? have i missed to do something so it shows up this message? hope that you can help me with it.

thanks,
Kathy
Quote Reply
OK, first of all, you really should ask this in the installation forum, but since we got started here, let's go ...

Have you checked your permissions on the standard directories, i.e., News and such?? This is very important. In the readme.txt file, you find a list of all the things to remember.

It sounds as if this might be your problem.

You might also want to find out the exact error messages you get, and put them here. This will make it easier for us to help.

John
Quote Reply
Hi John,

i am sorry about that, because i think that this is the forum for all the questions regarding on Links, i don't know that i should ask it in the installation forum.

thank you very much for helping me with that, i have set the permission of all files in the "templates" directory to 666 and it works!

at first, i read in the readme.txt and it said i should change the permission on files in templates only if i am using the online template editor, and so i haven't set permission for the files.

i just have one more question to ask: since i may change the templates files offline and then upload it back to the server, do i need to set the permission every time i upload the files? or it will remain as 666?

hope that you can answer my question.

thanks,
Kathy.
Quote Reply
Glad it works.

As long as you don't delete the templates, their permissions should stay the same even when uploading new versions.

John
Quote Reply
Hi John,

thank you very much for answering my question.

thanks again,
Kathy.