Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Help!!! How can I stop spammers???

(Page 2 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Re: Help!!! How can I stop spammers??? In reply to
All -

There have been a lot of good suggestions offered, and I'll definitely keep this thread on file. Unfortunately, most of them probably won't help Lengua, if his/her site is being hit by the same software that pounds ours. I think the add.cgi name-change hack is the best hope.

Without having examined the culprit software in question, it looks to be an HTTP client app that either functions as a plug-in to MSIE or that calls Win98's embedded MSIE. It's *not* a centralized submission service; instead, it operates from the end-user's PC. Logs show nothing out of the ordinary for either the REMOTE_HOST or the HTTP_USER_AGENT.

Fortunately, at the moment the destination form address appears to be hard-coded. Changing the script name dropped us from 1,200 submission emails a day to 12 in the past 24 hours. With luck, maybe I can swap the name every couple of weeks (the software promises fortnightly upgrades) for a month or two before the a**hole responsible starts dynamically updating the target script. When that happens, I fear the only solution (short of mailbombing his site with a copy of each bogus submission) will be some sort of two-phase process.

Lengua -

It took me a little under 60 seconds to make this change -- and half of that was calling up the man page for vi, since I never touch the stuff. It is not a significant investment of time, even if you do have to work for a living. Second, IM[not-so]HO, you've purchased a license and support for Links2.0 as it stands. If you want a specific modification made, try http://www.gossamer-threads.com/services.htm .

Vann
Quote Reply
Why didn't I think of this before?

If it appears that the spammer is using an application from his own PC, why not brand the links created pages with cookies?

These could be set to expire a resonable amount of time after they were set. I'm assuming that the spamming application does not have cookies support.

Alternately the browser could be branded with cookies each time that they submitted within a 24 hour period. Once they reached the limit, set by the admin, they would be bounced to a page telling them they've reached their limit for the day.

Here's some links that you might like.
http://www.bignosebird.com/apache/a9.shtml
http://www.bignosebird.com/apache/a12.shtml

The first talks about using the mod rewrite engine to take care of robots and spammers, the second is about using a black hole to deal with them.

Finally, this may work with some tinkering...
http://www.bignosebird.com/apache/a13.shtml

Thanks
Quote Reply
Folks, Alex has told and installed me a mod that works! This blocks all spamming domains:

(example domain names are spammers)

Add in links.cfg (right before: # Email Options)

@bad_hosts = ('regiocenter.ch', 'subway.net', 'webereignisse.de', 'cd-online.ch');

Then add in add.cgi: (right before: # This will set system fields like Validated to their proper values.)

foreach $host (@bad_hosts) {
if ($in{'URL'} =~ /$host/i) {
&site_html_add_failure ("Sorry, but we don't accept submissions to '$host'.");
return;
}
}

This works really great! Thank you, Alex!

------------------
Quote Reply

Lengua -

Congrats! Let me apply it to my system and see how well it works.

Code:
@bad_hosts = ('home.com', 'netcom.com', 'pacbell.net', 'bellsouth.net', 'aol.com);

Yup; cut way back on the number of bad submissions! Wink

Seriously, I'm glad this mod works for you. Keep your fingers crossed that you don't get hit by a more promiscuous auto-submitter!

Vann
Quote Reply
Lengua,

One question...Are the domains you use in your example ('regiocenter.ch', 'subway.net', 'webereignisse.de', 'cd-online.ch') the domains that were spamming you?

Maybe someone could set up a central page for reporting domains that spam Links sites?

Just an after (installing this mod) thought.

Joe
Quote Reply
Vann, we do not accept submissions from AOL, Netcom etc. domains - this people will have soon their own domain and their links would be very soon dead, this is my experience. That is why this mod works really great.

Jocarey, great idea what you suggested, I like this idea. Yes, they have spammed us and not only they...

------------------
Quote Reply
there was another solution developed, this one uses a text file and can ban domains, email, or specific words. I'll tie these two threads together here.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...um3/HTML/000680.html
Quote Reply
Re: [phoenix] Help!!! How can I stop spammers??? In reply to
I feel what people are doing is finding a list of links2.0 using search engines using general filenames. My idea is to rename as many filenames as you can using global search and replace. PM me if you need any help. I will be glad to help. Your installation will still work as it is, but spammers wont know untyil they visit you and analyze you manually.
>> Nakul Goyal (SEO, Link Building Expert)
Web Site Promotion
Tips 'n' Tricks
SEO News

> >