Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Hackers Beware!

Quote Reply
Hackers Beware!
I am quite upset. This morning, at approximately 05:24 Pacific Time, someone attempted to delete and modify records in my database. They did not succeed.

Nevertheless, I am really PO'd. The person who did this was familiar with Links because he or she typed in all the parameters necessary to accomplish the action. If my admin directory had not been password protected, the changes would have been made. This tells me that someone who frequents these forums is the culprit behind these actions. I have enough information at my fingetips that I can track this person down and, rest assured whomever you are, if you try it again, I will track you down.

It is actions like this that make me wonder just why I even try to be helpful to people and to post mods that are useful. I am having second thoughts about doing so in the future. I do not take kindly to hackers, even those "just testing" my security.

I know where this hacker originated from and I have the address of his/her ISP. Be forewarned, I will take action the next time. I do not repeat warnings. Do not attempt to hack my system, my database, or any of my files. If you disregard this warning, you will soon regret it.
Quote Reply
Re: Hackers Beware! In reply to
I have seen you help nearly anyone and you never have a bad word to say.. Who ever did this is a moron and please don't hold ignorance against the rest of the forum.

I fully understand your anger. And personally I think you should concider posting the IP of the person to the forum so we all know who to be aware of.
Quote Reply
Re: Hackers Beware! In reply to
At the same time this happened, someone was also hammering at my telnet port, preventing any shell logins for me and my virtual server customers. When something like that happens, inetd shuts down the port and won't let anyone in until it is reset. That's to prevent damage to the system by whomever is hammering. But it also keeps legitimate people from doing their work when they need to. I am looking real hard to see if it was the same person involved before I say anything publically to anyone. I wouldn't want to falsely accuse anyone.