Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Google & deadlink.cgi

Quote Reply
Google & deadlink.cgi
I thought I might point this out to other Webmasters using the deadlink.cgi program for their links pages. Google does or (could) list everything under your domain including these deadlink.cgi pages which will be confusing to site owners index on your directory.

As those who use the deadlinks.cgi program know, the program basicly makes the following statements which are indexed on the Google directory.

------deadlink.cgi message----------------------

Thank you for taking the time to send (domain directory site) a message about (this indexed site), which has retired or moved. Just click on the Send Problem button and an email message will be sent to (the domain Administrator).

---------------------------------------------------------

I had a site owner contact me regarding this for the directory I run and the person wasn't a bit happy that their site (under my domain URL) was listed in the Google directory as expired, or retired. (sigh @ Google)

Naturally the general public is not going to understand the process of this deadlink.cgi program which is a tool to aid your site from the amount of broken links it will have from the help of your visitors who use it to report to you a link is broken or no-longer valid.

http://google.yahoo.com/bin/query?p=deadlink.cgi&hc=0&hs=0

I posted the above URL as there seems to be alot of deadlink.cgi's being listed from multiple domains. You may want to contact Google to remove them such as I had done as it will be confusing to site owners indexed on your site.

Chow,

Gerardo

Quote Reply
Re: Google & deadlink.cgi In reply to
Hmm...thanks for posting this buggy experience...it seems that there are more worms in the can with links to .cgi scripts in the Google directory...there was another Thread posted about problems with jump.cgi posted in the Discussion Forum.

Good thing I created an automated deadlink response via jump.cgi rather than a separate .cgi script. Wink

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
The difference between jump.cgi and deadlink.cgi can't be compared when concerning this indexing disaster of Googles.

And, the first one their gonna blame is the smaller directory; Naturally! Nice to hear from you again Eliot. Keep up the good work!

Quote Reply
Actually...I think that they can be compared...since Google keeps cached versions of web pages and scripts, what happens when someone clicks on a jump.cgi link to find that it no longer exists?

Same result, if you ask me.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Tis true, a dead link is no good but; jump.cgi doesn't state that a site is no longer valid, no longer available. If a site owner see's that listing and their site is active, sounds like a possible law-suit to me for someone who really is in the mood for one????, and so I think it's a tad bit worse than jump.cgi.

Quote Reply
Welp...there are methods to prevent this...as I have mentioned before...and there are mods to reduce the risk of these problems from occurring.

Good luck!

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Hi Everyone, I'll help you, don't worry.

Just contact Google and they'll remove them as they did for me.