Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Go2 search vs Links

Quote Reply
Go2 search vs Links
Hi
I was searching the Cgi scripts and I came across a search script called Go2 search.
It looked very good but the outcome of each search is a file with .pl extension! this means that CGI resources are being used
every time someone searches. Does this cause a major problem? how many people can visit before my server kick me out? Smile
They also offer a great option, the cgi produces a CDNOW and AMAZON box with the specific search term! Is this possible
with Links?
Any information is appreciated.
I am a little confused!
Quote Reply
Re: Go2 search vs Links In reply to
Anything is possible with links. You could totally duplicate the functions Yahoo/Dmoz has with links, but some people don't do that because they like their own stuff. Yeah, links can do that CDNOW AMAZON.com thing. I saw the Go2search script, and i like the features outside but i don't remember if he said anything about flexibility and the speed at which you can get the script up.
Quote Reply
Where is this Go2 Search script located? I would like to see it. However, I am a bit biased because I think LINKS is one of the top scripts on the market. It is very flexible and one of the fastest search engines I've seen for mini portals and web sites.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Founder and Editor
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
http://www.anthrotech.com/
info@anthrotech.com
==========================
Coconino Community College
http://www.coco.cc.az.us/
Web Technology
Coordinator
elee@coco.cc.az.us
Quote Reply
  www.go2cgi.com/go2search/ I agree with you about links and one of the top scripts Eliot.
I like go2search's ability to spider on add, and get all details, but soon widgetz will crush that with his.

[This message has been edited by Bmxer (edited September 17, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Thanks, Bmxer. Spidering is fine. But the selling point of LINKS is the ability to create a nice mini-portal. I don't have intention on competing or beating the big boys (major portals and meta search sites). I think some people lose sight of quality over quanitity in terms of large number of web sites. Quality portals that provide quality web resources with a human touch is better than a search engine that has tons of web sites, but low quality of web resources.

Smile

Yea, I checked it out. Decent product, but lacks a lot of the user-centered bells and whistles that keeps people attention.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Founder and Editor
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
http://www.anthrotech.com/
info@anthrotech.com
==========================
Coconino Community College
http://www.coco.cc.az.us/
Web Technology
Coordinator
elee@coco.cc.az.us

[This message has been edited by Eliot (edited September 17, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Links seems much more flexible if you can put a little time into installing the modifications

You can easily add the CDNow and Amazon boxes that would take about a 5 min modification

The fact that links is mostly static html pages and not SSI and cgi based makes it a lot less server intensive also!
Quote Reply
hey, I just went and looked at the demo of go2 and it looks hacked to me.
Quote Reply
Hi, I just checked my stats and noticed a few hits from here. I'm the owner of go2cgi, which sells Go2! Search. I'd like to straiten out a few things. Go2! Search is a search engine, like Excite. Links is a directory, like Yahoo!. They're two different things. This is like compairing a mug to a glass, they're both similar but for different things. With that said, I'll try to answer some of your question.

Perjad, you were asking that since everything goes through the script if it causes problems. My answer to that is no, it doesn't. If you plan to have a search engine the size of Alta Vista you're going to at least want a dedicated server anyway. Every time you search for something, it's got to go through a script somewhere, regardless of what script (Go2! Search, Links, anything) you're talking about.

Bmxer, yes I have metioned things about the setup speed and flexibility. With your order you'll get a three page booklet that takes you through each step of the setup process in detail. Anyone can install it, but if you have questions I do offer free email, ICQ, and forum support plus I'll install it for you if you're really stuck. The script can be highly customized, all headers and footers can be edited, the categories can be changed, the category descriptions can be changed, the BODY attributed (bgcolor, etc.) can be changed, and many, many more things can be customized.

SearchMed, Links may have static pages but that's because it's a directory and not a search engine, they work differently. We're talking about two different things here. By the way, it only uses SSI if you don't use the built-in home page. You can design your own home page and just call the category and search box using SSI.

chmod, I'm not sure what you're talking about, its never been hacked.

------------------
---
http://www.go2cgi.com/