Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Generated 10000 categories

Quote Reply
Generated 10000 categories
I would like to furnish link listing without search. The visitor is to click himself by the categories. Can I administer also on the left of 2.0 10000 categories and 100000 sides? Won't that generate too slowly?
Quote Reply
Re: [Mike24] Generated 10000 categories In reply to
Links 2.0 cannot handle that many links and categories. you should seriously consider Links SQL.

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
Re: [Mike24] Generated 10000 categories In reply to
You would be lucky to get Links2 working with 1,000+ categories. Flat file databases just can't handle the amounts that you are asking :(

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Generated 10000 categories In reply to
I just completed a Portal for a Client who does not want his URL to be listed. he had a website with Links SQL base installed. I just inserted quickly 30000+ US States and Cities into his database and did a Build Staggered. Within 2 Hours, we had a BIG portal ready with 30000 Categories and Subcategories. Categories are the 50 US states and Sub categories and the Cities in each state. :-)
>> Nakul Goyal (SEO, Link Building Expert)
Web Site Promotion
Tips 'n' Tricks
SEO News

Quote Reply
Re: [nakulgoyal] Generated 10000 categories In reply to
of course Links SQL 2.0 can handle that, but we're saying Links 2.0 can't, just in case anyone else was confused by the post above.

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
Re: [fuzzy logic] Generated 10000 categories In reply to
I meant to say that I tried the same with Links2.0 but I could not work on over 2000 categories.
>> Nakul Goyal (SEO, Link Building Expert)
Web Site Promotion
Tips 'n' Tricks
SEO News

Quote Reply
Re: [nakulgoyal] Generated 10000 categories In reply to
Links 2.0 might not have been written to handle that many links and categories, but it will handle them. I have a Links system running now that has 2452 categories, and a little over 70,000 links. The only thing was during my build time, my Admin stopped the process because I was doing it during the day, and he emailed me and asked me to run it at night after 2am. He is a really good Admin, and said that it was using alot of the servers resources to build the data. But after that everything was fine, and Links is running well.

I know... I sure upgrade to LinksSQL and I will one day when I can afford it. :)

Jamie
Quote Reply
Re: [ubu] Generated 10000 categories In reply to
>>>but it will handle them<<<

You can't have that much traffic then. Anything with more than a thousand hits a day, with over 1-2,000 links, has a very high tendancy to corrupt the database. Its not down to Links2, but more the fact that flatfile databases are NOT designed to handle such large amounts of data (that is why MySQL is so popular now).

I'm not trying to say that you are lying... but more the fact that I'm suprised your host hasn't thrown you off yet Tongue

I'm assuming you don't use jump.cgi or search.cgi though?

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Generated 10000 categories In reply to
You are correct as this site doesn't get that much traffic right now. Our pagerank is increasing each Google Dance, so I better look into buying LinksSQL soon huh? :)

I currently do use jump.cgi and search.cgi without much loss in time, but like you said the site doesn't get that much traiffic.

My host did shut my IP address down because he thought it was a hacker attempt when I started to build my files. :) I explained what I was doing, and he only asked me to do it between the hours of 2am and 6am. It took a LONG while to build the complete list.

Now, that question to ask is this.. With me having this many links in Links 2.0 already, when I upgrade to LinksSQL, is there a way to import these over to LinksSQL without much trouble?

My site is a shopping based site and I have the entire shopping category from DMOZ running in my links system.

Thanks for any help or answers to the importing question!

Jamie
Quote Reply
Re: [ubu] Generated 10000 categories In reply to
Links SQL 2.0 has a built in option to import from Links 1.x, Links 2.x, and Links SQL 1.x.

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.