Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Format Options??

Quote Reply
Format Options??
How do I format my detailed fields nicely? Everything seems to run together. At the very least I'd like to use linebreaks. How were the Detailed pages in the Resources setion formated? Should I be thinking mod here?
Sheldon
Quote Reply
Re: Format Options?? In reply to
Are you using templates? Try editing the detailed.html template.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Founder and Editor
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
http://www.anthrotech.com/
info@anthrotech.com
==========================
Coconino Community College
http://www.coco.cc.az.us/
Web Technology
Coordinator
elee@coco.cc.az.us
Quote Reply
I am using templates, but I'm not sure that will correct my problem. It's the code that goes in to the Detailed Field is what I want to format. Like can I set up to to accept HTML tags? or something like that? I found a mod that will replace line breaks with <BR> but I still feel limited...
Quote Reply
PlanetSheldon,

I, too, am using templates and it is very easy to configure your detailed page to look however you'd like. You can use "global variables" in the detailed pages template (detailed.html).

For example, check out this URL:

www.anthrotech.com/resources/reviews/files/78.shtml

This is an example of how I have used the "Detailed" page for Site Reviews. You'll notice that I have data in tables, line breaks, etc.!

Modify your detailed.html with global variables and see if that works!

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Founder and Editor
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
http://www.anthrotech.com/
info@anthrotech.com
==========================
Coconino Community College
http://www.coco.cc.az.us/
Web Technology
Coordinator
elee@coco.cc.az.us
Quote Reply
Eliot,

He is not talking about the detailed page. He is referring to the Details variable in links.db as used in the Resource Center templates.
Quote Reply

Quote:
He is not talking about the detailed page.
He is referring to the Details variable in links.db as used in the Resource Center templates.

Could you explain? "Details variable" ?
Quote Reply
The Resource Center templates that Alex put up for download use a field called Details. There is no example links.def included in the archive and there are no instructions included for the field or how to include it in links.def. However, its purpose is to allow someone to upload the details about a Resource Center add. Go to the Resource Center and you will see what I mean.
Quote Reply
Ah... that's why I couldn't find it.

But, if it's a field in the database, I'm inserting HTML code into my 'description' field -- things such as <B>, <A HREF=> etc.

Since I'm doing it from admin, nothing seems to be filtered out.

If you just wanted the field to be formatted to fit within a certain box, why not just enclose it in a table?

<TABLE WIDTH="somenumber">
<TR><TD>
<%details%>
</TD></TR>
</TABLE>
And put the table as a design element in the template?

OR am I still missing something ?

Scott
Quote Reply
Pugdog,

Quote:
<TABLE WIDTH="somenumber">
<TR><TD>
<%details%>
</TD></TR>
</TABLE>
Been there, done that. I've been designing web pages for years, so I know HTML well, but I think you were hitting on it when you said:
Quote:
But, if it's a field in the database, I'm inserting HTML code into my 'description' field --
things such as <B>, <A HREF=> etc.

Since I'm doing it from admin, nothing seems to be filtered out.

If you are saying that I can enter HTML tags into the field I want and the tags will format the text, rather than be shown, then that will get the job done for me. Will that work? Or would I need to modify the code to allow me to enter HTML tags into the field?

[This message has been edited by PlanetSheldon (edited July 16, 1999).]
Quote Reply
I'm just putting the HTML tags in.

I've put HTML tags in most of the database fields Smile

If you look at how the program works, the database routines only look for "|" and stuffs it into a variable. That variable is output in the template without any processing. Any tags in it will be seen by the browser and formatted..... but remember, don't assume anything, and make sure any container tags are closed, or you'll be chasing your tail for errors.

I'm not sure if the user-add features allow html or not, since I don't use them. (we don't allow people to add things to our site).

Scott