Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Fighting Off those auto-submit URL mungrals!

Quote Reply
Fighting Off those auto-submit URL mungrals!
Our second link site is now been targeted by auto-submit organisations from Spain who are bombarding our local community Links Directory with submissions. The first site we set up had to be disbanded because all our time was spent deleting submission requests (all inappropriate and XXX). Any ideas on how to track who these organisations or how to stop them because even the Remote Host Referer is not showing on the admin emails we receive to validate the submissions.
Quote Reply
Re: Fighting Off those auto-submit URL mungrals! In reply to
Chas,

I had this problem and all I did was rename the add.cgi file.

You also have to update your links.cfg file with the new name of it, then do a rebuild so your 'Submit' links point to the right place.

My site was added to 'Submit Wolf' and within a few weeks I was getting hundreds of submissions a day. After renaming the add.cgi file it stopped instantly.

Its happened a few times since then, but all I do now is change the name of the file and that puts an end to it.

Eventually someone will tell the submission software guys the link to your site doesn't work. Hopefully they'll take you off their database after that.

Hope this helps Smile

------------------
Shaun Hague
Webmaster - Qango.com
http://www.qango.com/central/
Quote Reply
Uh...Also refer to the SPAM Thread that was posted in the Modification today (1-27-00).

I provided some other suggestions to reduce the chance of SPAM attacks of your LINKS directory.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
* Be sure to visit the Resource Center for FAQ's, Modifications and Extra Goodies!!
* Say NO to Duplicate Threads. :)
----------------------

Quote Reply
Thanks qango and Eliot. Have remained original add.cgi - why didn't I think of that. Good lateral thinking. Will begin working on those other ideas posted, Eliot. Thanks again, guys.
Quote Reply
You're welcome.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
* Be sure to visit the Resource Center for FAQ's, Modifications and Extra Goodies!!
* Say NO to Duplicate Threads. :)
----------------------