Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Editing using a WYSIWYG

Quote Reply
Editing using a WYSIWYG
OK, I don't know whether this is the correct forum to be posting this question in, but it will have to do. Also this will probably annoy a lot of the "veterans" who I'm sure have answered this sort of thing before, but even after trawling the forums I haven't found anything of help (maybe it's just me).

Firstly I'd like to create my own "template" using a basic format which features in my original (pre-links2) site, which I created using a WYSIWYG editor (NetObjects Fusion).
What I'd like to know is if I can just go to my site, click on "view source" and copy the contents into the "edit templates" bit of my admin.cgi page, and what bits of the original template I need to leave in before pasting my HTML.

At the moment I'm using the "Slick Links Template - No Style Sheets!". One problem is that I just get a small box in the top left hand corner of the screen with just the "bare essentials", and my attempts to edit the site_html.pl file has no effect.

So, to sum up, I'd like to change my original pre-links home page and categories page, but the pages of links I'd like to keep as is (just with the added features of links2 below each freebie with the rate it and hits#).

This would mean creating new templates for the home, categories pages and creating totally new "popular links", "add links" etc pages.

To give you an idea of my original layout, you might like to visit http://www.freeque.co.uk. If it helps, the URL of my links site (my current server does not have a cgi-binand it costs £96 to transfer my domain to another server, so I'll just have a link to the "links" site on the front page of my original site, when I'm happy with the links site) is http://freeque.port5.com At the moment (time of writing) you'll be able to see what I mean when I say there's just a box in the top left hand corner.

Thanks in advance for any help, and I hope I'm not being too much of a nuisance (and if I am, you can expect much more of it as I progress with the script =) )

Anyway, it's way past my bedtime (I've been surfing through the night almost every night since I discovered links, about 3 weeks ago. Thankfully I'm on holiday)so cheers and look forward to any helpful replies.

Quote Reply
Re: Editing using a WYSIWYG In reply to
You should be able to divide your original page into two and save them as header.html and footer.html in the links/admin/templates directory. What you put in these will follow on all pages (not the cgi scripts like add.cgi and modify.cgi if you use SSI). You can also modify home.html too and add your own look and feel to the front page.

If you use advert rotation or SSI you'll have to make a few MODS to site_html_templates.pl if you want a consistent look.

See what I've done on my site (not much on content yet) if you like. The only difference is that I'm using CSS.

Martin Webster
--
Cebidae's UK Internet Resource
http://www.cebidae.co.uk/