Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Editing templates will add empty lines

Quote Reply
Editing templates will add empty lines
Hi there,

I've just tried Links 2 and am amazed by it.

One thing I noticed was that when I edit a template file via the Web interface it seems to add blank lines after each line.

This is on Windows 95 w/Apache 1.3.1.

Am I seeing things or is this a bug ?

Another thing is that in category.html one of the template tags is missing a '%'.

It says if meta_keywords% instead of %if meta_keywords%. The server I tried this on kept producing empty content files (they all got cut off right after the body-tag). Took me a while to figure this typo out.

Please fix that in the original files so that others won't fall into that trap.

Georg
Quote Reply
Re: Editing templates will add empty lines In reply to
You're not seeing things! This happened for me too, each time i would save the file, the spacing between each line would increase. When you open the file in an text editor it shows small open box characters... very odd. I ended up having to edit it with a text editor, far too much scrolling to be able to make changes easily. Using a NT server, and win95 on my desktop.
Quote Reply
I see. It must be a DOS/Windows thing then. Actually I took a closer look at the template files once they had been edited via the Web.

The end-of-line character turns out to be hex 0D 0D 0A instead of the regular DOS hex 0D 0A.

Alex, can you fix this ?

Georg
Quote Reply
I noticed this on an OmniHTTPD server, but it worked fine with IIS so I chalked it up to omni. =) I'll take another look and see if I can figure out where the extra lines are coming from.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Blank lines are added on O'Reilly Website Pro also!

david
Quote Reply
Seven months have gone by and I noticed that this bug still has not been fixed yet.

This is now happening on an Apache Web server under Linux.

I have now a configuration where I would also like to be able to change the templates.cfg file via the templates editor, so I moved this file into the templates directory.

Problem is, that templates.cfg (or Perl actually) is rather picky about the EOL-character. It will not accept an 0x0D0D0A as EOL. So, I'm unable to even build.

ALEX, please fix this !!!!

Georg

[This message has been edited by Georg (edited September 21, 1999).]