Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Crash! Restore Data?

Quote Reply
Crash! Restore Data?
My Links 2.0 ate my database!

Ok, so I've read several articles on the subject, and have downloaded my backup files fromthe baackup folder. I then renamed the files and posted them into the data folder, but to no avail. What am I doing wrong? My data is still missing.

Juan
Juan Lucero
Fresno State
Assistant Web Manager
Quote Reply
Re: [juanl] Crash! Restore Data? In reply to
What exactly did you do? (step by step). You probably just missed something out.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Crash! Restore Data? In reply to
While peforming a Build, I inadvertently clicked another link. This stoped the build and resulted in the error that deleted my links data.
Juan Lucero
Fresno State
Assistant Web Manager
Quote Reply
And what ideas have you tried to restore the data?

cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Crash! Restore Data? In reply to
Oh, sorry. So far I've tried uploading a backup of the links database (see above). But I was unsucessful and am wondering if I did it the wrong way. I used an ftp program to download the files (acsi), renamed them with the .db extension, and uploaded them again.

Nothing changed. Are there any materials on how to import existing data, or maybe a step by step of restoring from backup?
Juan Lucero
Fresno State
Assistant Web Manager
Quote Reply
Check your categories back-up file. Mine backs up to category.db but the actual data file is categories.db. If yours does the same make sure you rename the back-up file correctly.

Also check that your back-up links.db file has some data in it and it's not 0Mb. If it is, try and find one from a later date.

To correct the back-up problem open nph-build.cgi and find:
Code:
("$db_script_path/data/categories.db", "$db_script_path/backup/$date.category.db")

and replace with:
Code:
("$db_script_path/data/categories.db", "$db_script_path/backup/$date.categories.db")
Quote Reply
Re: [MJB] Crash! Restore Data? In reply to
My categories.db does back up as category.db, and I did rename it and upload it to the /data/ folder along with links.db (renamed), and email.db (renamed). The links.db file is plenty big to have the full data set from before the crash, but I'll double check.

The two lines of code you provided above are the same. Is that a mistake?
Juan Lucero
Fresno State
Assistant Web Manager
Quote Reply
Ok, I don't know what I did, but now the links are appearing. I checked the data through the administrator, and the files seemed ok. So I did a build and the catagories populated. This is awesome. I'll let you know if I have other problems, but I think it's ok.

Smile
Juan Lucero
Fresno State
Assistant Web Manager
Quote Reply
In Reply To:

The two lines of code you provided above are the same. Is that a mistake?

Look closer. one ends in $date.category.db and the other $date.categories.db

Wink
Quote Reply
Re: [MJB] Crash! Restore Data? In reply to
Actulay, I did a Build All, and the Catagories repopulated themselves. The actual category listing was not damaged in the initial crash, so the Build All repopulated them with links.

I think that's it Smile
Juan Lucero
Fresno State
Assistant Web Manager