Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Confirmation email problems

Quote Reply
Confirmation email problems

I had a problem with my set up a few days ago;

An email notification was coming into me (administrator) when sites were added but not being sent to the 'linkers' for either link confirmations or modification notifications.

I posted here and Eliot helped but I eventually thought I'd fixed it by changing the sendmail from /usr/sbin/sendmail to /usr/lib/sendmail. This seemed to work.

However when I re-tested today I'm back to square one - mail to administrator, none to linker.

HELP! I'm confused.

Cakey

PS If you could also take a look at my post of yesterday "(CSS and templates? (for a confused newby)" it would also be appreciated.

Quote Reply
Re: Confirmation email problems In reply to
In Reply To:
However when I re-tested today I'm back to square one - mail to administrator, none to linker.
1) Make sure that you have the following settings in your links.cfg file:

Code:

$db_email_add = 1;
$db_email_notify = 1;

As I stated to another Links 2.0 user two days ago:

1 = ON (yes, send email message)
0 = OFF (no, do not send email message)

2) Make sure that you have the following files in your templates directory:

Code:

email-add.txt
email-mod.txt

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply

Eliot

My links in .cfg read as follows;

$db_email_add = 1;

$db_email_modify = 1;

Your post didn't include the e of 'email'. Is this important?

The two .txts you mentioned are there.

Oh, and the newsletter and Link owners mail on the Links Manager doesn't work either!

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Your post didn't include the e of 'email'. Is this important?
I edited my reply.

In Reply To:
Oh, and the newsletter and Link owners mail on the Links Manager doesn't work either!
Welp...that means that you have not properly configured the $db_mail_path variable in your links.cfg. Double check with your hosting company to find out the correct Sendmail path you should be using.

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
All sorted now.

Thank you again Eliot for your help.

Quote Reply
Good...you're welcome.

For the benefit of other Links 2.0 users, you should post the solution, so that if other Links 2.0 users run into the same problem...the solution will be posted in this forum.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply

Eliot

you're absolutely right I should post the solution........ however, you've already done that.... see above.

I'm very embarrased to explain, but will as it actually acts as a good lesson regarding testing....

The 'problem' was that the email address that I was using as a test was set up incorrectly, hence none of my test mails arrived!!!!

I found this out when I thought laterally....

All your advice pointed to my set up being right. Therefore it had to be something else. I deleted all the test files from links and started again with 6 test files (dummy URLs) and six email addresses (hotmail, yahoo, my original test one etc that I have access to). All five came through correctly with the confirmation mail EXCEPT my original test mail. Hence my original address had to be wrong not links2.

The lesson of the tale is therefore don't rely on a single route as a test of set up.

(I've just wasted a week of pulling my hair out to learn this one.)