Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Changing Catagories (supplemental)

Quote Reply
Changing Catagories (supplemental)
This is particularly aimed at Anthro but I'll take anyone's answers:

I have added a couple of sub-catagories to one of my top level catagories. What I wanted to do was move some of the links that were in the original top level into the sub-directory.

So, being a good 'linkizen' (is that the right collective noun for us all?) I checked the boards BEFORE posting. I found the following from Anthro in reply to a posting on 30 Dec on the same subject.

Anthro said;
This has been discussed a few times in the Links 2.0 Customization Forum.

The best advise I have for you is the following:

1) Download your links.db file from the backup directory.

2) Use a text editor (preferably TEXT PAD) or even a database program like Access to edit the CATEGORY field. Basically, you should do a GLOBAL FIND/REPLACE of the OLD CATEGORY names and REPLACE them with the new CATEGORY names.

3) Then edit the category names via the admin.cgi script or follow the above steps for the categories.db file.

4) Then upload the edited database files to your server.

I did as the great man says, downloaded the last-dated links.db file from the Back Up folder, changed the catagories and uploaded it again. I re-built but no catagory changes occurred. (Yes the catagories exist). So I then downloaded the links.db file from the data folder, put the amended links file in (from my dated-links.db file) and uploaded that. HURRAH, the links are now in.........

..............HOWEVER I've lost all the 'New' flagging (Cool and rated are ok). Why is this and how do I get them back? the data is still dated correctly but build does not seem to pick it up.

Anthro? Anyone?

Thanks

Cake Boy

Quote Reply
Re: Changing Catagories (supplemental) In reply to
In Reply To:
Why is this and how do I get them back?
The problem is that you are using an old back-up file and the links are no longer new...that is why the "flags" are gone.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
so how do I get them back?

Quote Reply
You would have to manually edit all the NEW links in the database. Basically a pain in the BUTT if you ask me.

Regards,

Eliot Lee