Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Category Headers. Turning on

Quote Reply
Category Headers. Turning on
How are the category headers turned on/activated?

The administration add category has the header/footer inboxes. How are these turned on and show up in the 2.0 version. Could get them to work in the earlier version.

Any hints appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Category Headers. Turning on In reply to
They are "activated" by typing in a file name and extension in the blanks, and then uploading the appropriate header and footer files in the /header and /footer directories defined in the links.cfg file.

So, you have to type in something like:

Code:
artheader.html

in the Header field.

Then upload artheader.html to your templates/header directory.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
anthrotech.com
* Check Resource Center
* Thinking out of the box (codes) is not only fun, but effective.

Quote Reply
Hi, Thanks for the rapid reply. I can not get the headers to work here. I have tried every combination I can think of. /header has the file(s) in it and ... Clueless. What is the magic combo?

Is the /header in the correct location? Are scripts setup for this system. Someplace it said to turn on 0 or 1 for ... Then ... blah, blah, blah.

Any further clues?
Quote Reply

Quote:
Is the /header in the correct location?

Look in your links.cfg file. How have you defined the path to the headers directory in this file? Look towards the bottom of the page.

Quote:
Someplace it said to turn on 0 or 1 for... Then ... blah, blah, blah.

NOT for the header and footer files, you are confusing the use templates variable that you can turn off and on.

Quote:
Any further clues?

Again, look in your links.cfg file...see where you have defined the header and footer paths towards the bottom of this file, and then put the files in these directories!!!

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
anthrotech.com
* Check Resource Center

Quote Reply
Hello again, Still no go. I looked in the links.cfg and it seems to be parked in the correct location. $db_script_path/data
and $db_script_path/header are in the same directory. Isn't this correct?

Still clueless.

Quote Reply
If the template/category.html writes/creates the output where and what in the category.html "says" this is where the header is put and pulls the header file out of the /header directory?

Seems like there is something missing consequently it can not write/create the header file???

MeAgain@Idowebs.com
Quote Reply

Code:
<%if header%>
<%header%>
<%endif%>

AND

Code:
<%if footer%>
<%footer%>
<%endif%>

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
anthrotech.com
* Check Resource Center

Quote Reply
Hello again and again and ...

Anway, I can not get the header to show up. I have been playing with 2.0 since it first came out and am ready to toss in the towel. I want the first version back again. Is it still available.

Hmmmmmm Since the category.html in the version of 2.0 I downloaded did not have the <%if header%><%header%><%endif%> or footer text, possibly there is other stuff missing. 2.0 has been a very long tedious experience here. I am glad Gossamer refunded my money.

Do you know of a creative way to get a particular link to show at the top of the category and use it as my fake header. I have had some success with naming a link in a category starting with the number 1.

Thanks for your time.

Quote Reply
Your problem is that you have tags on the same line...(There is a FAQ about Problems with tags in the Resource Center.)

You need to use the codes I provided EXACTLY with tags on separate lines or install the Enhanced Template.pm codes from the Mod in the Resource Center, which allows tags to be on the same line.

Quote:
Do you know of a creative way to get a particular link to show at the top of the category and use it as my fake header. I have had some success with naming a link in a category starting with the number 1.

You could look at the Priority Logo Mod in the Resource Center and replace the Logo with the link...But I really think that you can solve the header and footer problems by re-reading the suggestions provided in this Topic and other topics.

Regards,

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
anthrotech.com
* Check Resource Center

Quote Reply
Howdeeeee,
Happy days are here again. Finally go it. I see said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw.

I still say it would be easier if there was a help guide to links. Then again your job would be writing it and not dealing with bozos like me.

Thats it from here. After a year I think I have finally got it. Coool. See, you can teach old dogs new tricks.

Me
Quote Reply
PS If I didn't say already. T H A N K S
Quote Reply
You're welcome.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
anthrotech.com
* Check Resource Center