Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Categories do not appear above each link in the search results?!!!

Quote Reply
Categories do not appear above each link in the search results?!!!
Hello All,
I have installed Loopy's Alt-Category MOD to allow the user to enter two different categories when adding his/her website into my directory. Everthing seems to work fine except the search results; where if you search for the added link (which is listed in two different categories), you will get only one link which is the one that is in located in the main category, and not the one that is in the alt-category.
I understand that both links have the same IDs; however, should it not (the search results) display both links with each link has above it its own category; or maybe return just one link in the result page and list the two categories above it (where the link is belonging to).
1 - Could you please tell me how to enable this feature so both categories will appear above the link in the search results.
2 - Also, some times search results return no category listing above every link on the search result page!!!. Why is that?!?!, and how can I fix it so it will always show where each link is belonging to (the category listing) above each returned link in the search result page.

Thank you in advance for your help and regards..
Mark
Quote Reply
Re: Categories do not appear above each link in the search results?!!! In reply to
I don't think I can help you do what you want but I can explain a bit of why it's happening.

Using Loopy's altcategory mod, you are still creating one link, not multiple links with the same ID. Thus, the search page only lists it once. You would need to modify the search.cgi file to return the value of the AltCategory field, or modify it to search throught the file multiple times to spit out a listing by category and by altcategory.

As for it not listing the category name above each listing, the search groups the findings by category, and only lists the category name above each category, not each item. you would again need to modify the output to include the category name with each item.

------------------
Marie Altobelli
Dragonsblood Ink. Librarian
http://dbink.hostingcheck.com
Quote Reply
Re: Categories do not appear above each link in the search results?!!! In reply to
Thank you Marie for your help. Now I got the idea.
I still have one more problem. I do not know if someone can help me in it:
Why the user gets "UNKNOWN TAG-Altcategories" when he/she try to add their link through the add.cgi file but do not specify and altcategory to be listed under (in addition to the main category). In other word, how can I make the ALT CATEGORY field as optional when user adding his/her site?
Please rememenr that I changed MULTIPLE SIZE=5 in loopy's MOD to read SELECT SIZE=1 in order to have a drop down menu instead of list of alternative cateogries.

Thank you for your help..
regards..
Mark
Quote Reply
1) You can add the AltCategories field number to the @search_fields array in the links.def. Then the link will show up with the alternative category.

2) You can make the Alternative Categories optional by setting the AltCategories field to 0 in the required attribute rather than 1.

3) The reason you are getting an Unknown Tag error is that you have not properly installed the Loopy's Alt-Category Mod. Re-install the codes.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
* Be sure to visit the Resource Center for FAQ's, Modifications and Extra Goodies!!
* Say NO to Duplicate Threads. :)
----------------------

Quote Reply
Thank you Eliot for your help. I've reinstalled everything according to http://www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/forum/resources/Forum3/HTML/004672.html and http://www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/forum/resources/Forum3/HTML/000960.html .
Everything seems to work fine. I receive a valid email with the category and the altcategory (if he/she selected an altcategory; otherwise, the altcategory will be empty in the validate email) in the validate email after the user adds a site using the into my site. However, when I validate the entry and build all, an email is sent to the user with "UNKNOWN TAG ALTCATEGORIES" eventhough, It adds everything else works fine.
I have the <%AltCategories%> in my email-add.txt which used to work fine and sends the right mail.
Could you please tell me where I should be checking in the files to see why this error is generated.

Thank you very much..
Mark