Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Categories and Searches

Quote Reply
Categories and Searches
Categories and Searches

It seems that words typed into the search box will only look at a category’s actual title, not at the description, meta description or meta keywords for that category. Is there any way to include any of those and make search more helpful in regards to categories? Am I missing something?

I read a similar question posted about link descriptions and searches, but couldn’t find anything similar to search_fields in the category.def, not like it is in the links.def

Asynjur
Quote Reply
Re: Categories and Searches In reply to
The search.cgi file only searches data in the links.db NOT categories.db. There has been discussion on integrating the search for both categories and links database files. However, it would be quite cunky and cumbersome with standard flat file release of LINKS. The better thing to do is to pursue the discussions in the LINKS SQL Forum to see what people are doing with the SQL search engine.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
Thanks for your note!

I'm sorry I don't really know much about these programs. It does seem to be looking at the category names themselves although no other data, since I just got a responce like this from a search on my site:

Your search returned 1 categories and Links.

Category Matches

Agencies-Various Others:Toys

(no links are listed)

I think what I'll do for now is just take out the line saying X categories have been returned in the search - since it's not really looking at any keywords there, and it seems misleading to say categories have been searched and returned.

Thanks again for your answer. I'll read up on the SQL discussion.

Good luck in all you do,

Asynjur
Quote Reply
Yes...It looks at the Category Name which is associated with the link entry in the links.db file. The search engine does NOT search the categories.db file.

Wink

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------