Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

CGI Error

Quote Reply
CGI Error
Just finished installing Links 2.0 and followed all the instructions. I get the ff. error when I clicked on the "build all"
link. All the other functions worked except this one.
It says on the readme files that this is supported by Perl 5, I checked my server and it does support this version only (Perl5.003)

Error Message : Error building! Links database is 0 bytes!
Script Location : nph-build.cgi
Perl Version : 5.00404

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: CGI Error In reply to
Have you added any links? If so, check to see if links.db has anything in it. Also, make sure all data directory files are chmod 666.

Dan
Quote Reply
Hi Dan,

That did work now another problem arise, after clicking on the "build all" the script executes properly and ends with:

Done

Pages Built (1 s)!

So i clicked on the HOMEPAGES and it comes out with Internal Server Error.

I did this :

chmod 777 on the directory where Links pages will be created as per instruction but still get the same error.

Quote Reply
By "HOMEPAGES" are you referring to the link at the top of the admin area to your homepage? When you place your mouse over it, what is the URL that displays in the status bar? (This should be the same as the page it takes you to when you click on it.) I'm not sure why you're getting a server error when visiting the homepage. The two things I can think of are:

1) wrong path set in links.cfg (explanation above)

2) something funny in your home.html template

Dan
Quote Reply
I've checked on the path and they are ok, so let me check on the home.html template..

Quote Reply
Ok this is the sample of my links.cfg

# PATH and URL of Admin CGI directory. No Trailing Slash.
$db_script_path = "/www/myhome/cgi-bin/links/admin";
$db_dir_url = "http://myhome.com/cgi-bin/links/admin";

# URL of User CGI directory. No Trailing Slash.
$db_cgi_url = "http://myhome.com/cgi-bin/links";

# PATH and URL of Pages to be built. No Trailing Slash.
$build_root_path = "/www/myhome/cgi-bin/links/pages";
$build_root_url = "http://myhome.com/cgi-bin/links/pages";

Everything works except that I keep getting the Internal Server Error when trying to access the
http://myhome.com/cgi-bin/links/pages/index.html

I also tried changing the path to the links.cfg in all the .cgi files into:

/www/myhome/cgi-bin/links/admin/links.cfg

and still get the same results.

I am using the same config on another server and that worked, I dont know why it wont on this server. :-(
Quote Reply
Hi Dan,

I finally figured it out, tried all options and got the same results. So I moved the "pages" directory into:

/www/myhome/pages and changed the values in the links.cfg.

This works fine now.

Thanks for your advice.

Guy
:-)

Quote Reply
Sorry I returned to the topic late... Glad to see you figured it out. You definitely want to build your pages outside of the cgi-bin, as you realized. Smile

Dan
Quote Reply
 Smile

Hi Dan,

Yes, I realized that. By the way I tried installing it on a Virtual Avenue Server and it does allow to be installed inside the cgi-bin and also have the admin directory pass protected. Meanwhile the other server have their own pass protect program which is proprietary (plusmail) and that made my whole day busy trying to access the program.

So I think I have to spend time to personalize the look. Wish me luck !!

Guy
Quote Reply
Good luck! Smile

I had an account with VirtualAve for a while, and I remember there were things they did to idiot-proof (i.e. cripple) their servers for newbie webmasters, of which I was more-or-less one at the time. Doesn't surprise me they allow the pages to be built in the cgi-bin. Just curious, can you call images from the cgi-bin on their servers?

Hmm, now that I think about it, I belive my account there is still active...

Dan
Quote Reply
Hi Dan,

>>Just curious, can you call images from the cgi-bin on their servers?

Yes you can..The only thing that dont work with them is when you click on "detailed" on Verifying Links.

But I can live with that, too much headache trying to figure it out. Maybe you have some work around on this?

Guy
Quote Reply
Here are the error messages for that:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Unable to load Parallel User Checker. System Error:
--
Can't locate HTTP/Request.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /home/user/public_html/cgi-bin/links/admin /usr/libdata/perl/5.00502/mach /usr/libdata/perl/5.00502 /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/i386-freebsd /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005 .) at /home/user/public_html/cgi-bin/links/admin/Validator.pm line 23.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /home/user/public_html/cgi-bin/links/admin/Validator.pm line 23.
--
Using IO::Socket method instead.

Just thought you'ld see it. Let me know if you got some fix for this.

Guy
Quote Reply
I'm confused, aren't you building the pages outside of the cgi-bin now? That would take care of the images as well; just place them off the root level. You are safest just putting things like perl scripts and corresponding text/db files in the cgi-bin and everything else outside it.

Dan
Quote Reply
Hey Dan,

Sorry for the confussion, what I meant was that VirtualAve does allow images inside the cgi-bin.

The errors were generated (Virtual Avenue's Server) only when I go to the admin page and do the "Verifying links".

I did put all the links stuff outside the cgi-bin for the other server. This one is working now with no problems so far.

Guy