Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Building Times Out :c(

Quote Reply
Building Times Out :c(
I have spent the last 5 hours of my night adding links to my one category. I have read all the posts on this forum before attempting to resolve my problem.

I have 264 links in my one category is that too many?
I know you have said in other posts that 683 or something like that was way too many...so how many is too many? lol

34 links worked fine and I didnt realize that this would happen. It took me soo long to do this and now what do I do to get it to build the pages? I have used Telnet in the past but i'm not good with it at all. I wouldnt know what command to use or anything. And it would take me forever to create another category and split the links up. Anything I can do here?

:c)
Thanks

Quote Reply
Re: Building Times Out :c( In reply to
Ok I got 93 links now working in the same category.

I tried 150 but that wouldnt work :c(

I need to get all 264 or find a way to be able to alphabetically organize the links in the 3 new subcategories I would have to create.

Quote Reply
Solutions:

a) build via telnet. Telnet into your host. cd (change directory) to navigate to your links/admin directory. Then typing perl nph-build.cgi should do the trick.

b) ask your host to increase the time the script is allowed to run via the browser. They may or may not be willing to increase this for you. (The max number of links per category varies depending on host hardware and equally important, their setup.)

c) break it up manually or create the new categories, download the links.db, sort it by the title with a database program, break that up into the three alphabetical ranges (temporarily) and do a find and replace on the category to change the main category to the new alphabetical categories. Then put together the links.db again, reupload, and everything will be in the correct categories.

Remember ALWAYS BACKUP before making changes :)

Quote Reply
When you say "database program" which do you recommend?

Quote Reply
Also thing is about creating new categories it will not keep my files in alphabetical order since I will be adding new links every day.

Quote Reply
You could use Microsoft Excel for example. Import the database. Hightlight all, then go to Data -> Sort -> Ascending by Column (and choose the Title column)
Then export as a deliminated text file again.

As far as adding links after you break it up into subcats (a-f, g-n, o-z for example) when you add the links you will need to place them in the correct subcategory of course.

I would recommend building via telnet first, or maybe categorizing based on something other than alphabetical (is there a feature sets some links in this main category apart so they might fit in a subcat based on their nature vs. just alphabetical?)

Quote Reply
Well I am indexing Applications (Programs) and they really gotta be in alphabetical order.

So if I Telnet and run the build.cgi will it create them all in the same category?

I really dont have use for the main category page so I just want to create this one single category.

Quote Reply
Ok I give up here. Ive tried what u said but ended up with a big mess of junk. Everything is set back how it was before.

What should I specifically ask my host to do about the allowed time scripts are to run?

Quote Reply
Ok. I slept it off this morning and came back today with a fresh start. I found out how to create categories and split the links up into 50/1 50/2 50/3 50/4 etc...

This isnt what I want though because now this means it will be more work for me to do when I have to update each day...and well the main idea behind cgi is to take that work and do it for u right? lol

I asked my host to up the time that my cgi scripts are allowed to run, I asked him to set it at 2-3 minutes. I guess thats right? I dont know.

What do I know? heh not much :c(