Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Banning IP's

Quote Reply
Banning IP's
Is there a way to ban IP's from submitting sites?

Quote Reply
Re: Banning IP's In reply to
Yes...Check out the Block URL Mod at the following URL:

http://lookhard.hypermart.net/links-mods/

Simply replace URLs in the @block_urls array with IP addresses. Then you will need to tweak the codes a bit to reference the $ENV{'REMOTE_ADDR'} variable.

The mod is also linked in the Resource Center (http://www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/resources/), which is the first place to check for modifications.

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
Thanks Eliot! I took a look and it appears that you can block URL's from being added - I didn't see it at first in the resources section.

The problem that I'm having seems to stem from some idiot that has decided that he can make money by "listing sites in search engines", and has been bulk submitting inappropriate URL's to my site. It has become a real pain in the ass and I'd like to block his "submission service".

Any ideas? Has anyone else had this problem?

Quote Reply
I guess you missed the following statement in my first reply:

Code:

Then you will need to tweak the codes a bit to reference the $ENV{'REMOTE_ADDR'} variable.

Learn a little Perl and you might be able to tweak the Block URL modification to fit your needs.

And if you spent more time searching the Support Forums, you would find TONS of Threads with codes provided regarding the issue of SPAM and SPAMMERS, etc.
Trust me...this issue has been addressed about 15 times in the past three months throughout the support forums.

Good luck!

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
Thanks Eliot,

Yes, I did miss your comment regarding the variables, and I do appreciate your pointing it out. And yes, I do know a bit of Perl.

As a matter of fact, I did spend some time searching both the resources section and the forums. Since my questioned pertained to banning IP's those where the words that I thought I might find the answers to my question. Of course we both know that one may be SPAMMED in many forms, and I sincerely apologize for searching under the technical term and not every possible semantic variation addressing the same application. Had I realized that "banning IP's" = "SPAM" I most certainly would have searched for SPAM.

Thanks for you help and words of encouragement. As always, it is greatly appreciated.

Quote Reply
You're welcome.

Regards,

Eliot Lee