Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Banner problem

Quote Reply
Banner problem
I ran into the following odd problem: I use a banner rotation script for links at http://www.searchwind.com/dblinks/ and everything goes ok with one exception. When I call search.cgi the banner turns up broken on the search results page.(Elliot, I know what you are goiung to say "It's the banner script"). Well it isn't. Checked everything and it checks out and the broken banner only appears on the first page that comes up, not on the following pages.It also displays ok when I refresh the search results. And you know what, it also happens in dbman at http://www.searchwind.com/drburck/db.html , same problem only the first screen of search results displays a broken image.

It should be a problem with search.cgi

Any ideas?

Dr. Burckhardt

------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Banner problem In reply to
Have you read the FAQs in the Resource Center regarding WebAdverts? I am using the IFRAME solution, and I have had no problems with it.

And don't assume what I am going to say please.

Wink

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
Eliot,

I don't use WebAdverts but Banner Plus and never had any problems with it, but I will go read the faq. the statement was tongue in cheek (or foot in mouth) and meant as a joke.

Dieter
Quote Reply
Well...tongue and cheek comments are usually better justified with semantic markers, including smilies, comments (*jk*), and emphasized text. Straight text coming from perfect strangers can be easily misinterpreted especially in cyberspace (but also in traditional media).

The FAQ should help you.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center

[This message has been edited by AnthroRules (edited March 26, 2000).]
Quote Reply
The Faq doesn't help, because I do not use SSI calls, because my ISP does not support it.So I have to use the image tag. And the problem only appears on the first page (search results) after a call to search.cgi. Once the results are loaded and i call the second page of multiple search results its ok.If i go back to the first page, ok also. It works fine on all the category pages, the add page, the modify pages, all error pages all other pages of links 2.0
Quote Reply
There is another FAQ that use IFRAMES, which as I stated before DOES work (with IMG tags). Look again.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
I juyst changed the tags to the Iframe as in the faq --- same result. The first page after search turns up with a broken image, all others work. And I pasted the code exactly as in the faq. By the way the IFrame Tag works fine in Netscape 4.7, but does not work as a banner rotation, it displays the same banner over again (cache problem??). So both solutions have their disadvantages and I will probably go with the broken image on one page until someone comes up with a solution to this very peculiar problem.

It may be related to the fact that the banner exchange is housed on a different server??

Dieter