Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Add field to category

Quote Reply
Add field to category
I would like to include a fairly long descriptive passage at the beginning of each of the category pages. To do this, I had initially hoped to add a new field to the category list. However, I can find no mod for this, and don't know the code well enough to do this all from scratch. It strikes me that this would be a lot of work, with a lot of scripts and pages to change, and it doesn’t seem like the best approach.

Given this, I have decided to use the existing description field for my mini-essays, and use the existing meta description field for the descriptions on the home page. However, I cannot find the script where the category variable is set. Can someone give me a hint?

Also, I am very curious if anyone else has made similar modifications, and how they went about it.

Thanks –

John S
Quote Reply
Re: Add field to category In reply to
Follow the instructions for adding a field in the links.db in the FAQ section of LINKS in the Resource Center...

The things you will have to change are the following:

1) Add the new field to the category.def, not links.def file.

2) To add the new delimiter to your category records, change links.db to categories.db and links2.db to categories2.db.

BTW: That is what the header and footer file fields are for. Just create text files, and put them in your header and footer directories specified in the links.cfg file. Then simply type in the text file name and extension into the Header and/or Footer blanks in the LINKS MANAGER - Categories: Add or Modify.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center

[This message has been edited by AnthroRules (edited March 06, 2000).]
Quote Reply
Ahhh... okay. The light now dawns.

Thanks AnthroRules; I'll use the header files. I should have known that what I was looking for was already there.

What a great set of scripts we have here... and what a great community we have supporting them.

John
Quote Reply
Glad you got it.

You're welcome.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center