Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

alta vista has changed url for translate it

(Page 2 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Re: alta vista has changed url for translate it In reply to
did you tell them where this forum is, i.e.?

Quote Reply
Hi Bmxer:

Yep. I gave them full details including the URL to this forum and some posts. But GO.com is firm in their decision. Too bad but you are most welcome to try yourself. Can hurt Wink

Dan Smile

Quote Reply
i don't want to try an sway their decision, i'm just wondering why you, who is not the creator of the script, would tell all info about it. So as soon as one of us use it once more, they will try to come and get us. I understand you wanna be sure that u can use it, but all you had to tell them is i found a script that can use LWP and parse info from your site. Oh, this is too funny, also don't say script withdrawn because you didn't make it, u can withdraw it or whatever

Quote Reply
Hi Bmxer:

The script I'm referring was written by me and only me - top to bottom (left to right). It was not plagiarized from any other scripts including but not limited to the original translate script or your new translate script (which came out the next day).

I appreciate your concerns but go.com knows when their service is being accessed remotely. Large sites like go.com closely monitor leaching. And if they have a policy against it, then that is their right and perogative within all legal and ethical boundaries. I was going to make my script available (as freeware) but only with the expressed legal permission of go.com in order to avoid any subsequent legal action. However, individual usage would probably be ignored (although they would probably change the transation parameters in such a manner to render remote translation scripts useless - like AltaVista). But they might direct their efforts against those distributing the script. That was my reasoning.

Dan Smile

Quote Reply
i know they monitor their sites, but this code i released is not freeware, it is nothing it is a mod to enhance a directory. I know its their right to be against leeching of their copyrighted material and i dont know if systransoft software is copyrighted by them. They can render their software useless but i'm still gonna use my world.cgi code and widgetz translate.cgi for educational purposes until they do. You should have said that it was your personal translate script, because their was no understanding by me that there was another one. BTW, did you make an url translator or a text, because i don't see why you said our scripts would be comparable?

Quote Reply
Hi Bmxer:

Using for 'educational purposes' probably won't cause too many waves. Probably the only thing they would do is to change the translation parameters. My undestanding is that they lease the software from systransoft but I do not know for sure. It may be that the latter might have a say in the remote use of GO Translator services. John for go.com did email me back today after my last email yesterday where I concluded that no arrangement would be forthcoming and that I decided to delete my scripts. His response was "'don't be hasty". So it's not over yet.

And yes, my translate script (although I use the original one on my Links site) performs both URL and text translation. Originally it was text only but when I saw yours, I quickly added URL. I copied you there Wink

And again, great work on the spider script. I'm going to drop mine soon in favour of yours. Mine Smile ... a quick and silly hack of the Fluid Dynamics Search Engine.

Dan Smile

Quote Reply
Thank you about spider. Misunderstanding tho, translate.cgi with the urls was made by Widgetz. Only i made the text. I'm gonna put them in the same cgi pretty soon. Its cool he's makin a deal with you because he will probably let us use it if he accepts yours.

Quote Reply
Hi Bmxer:

Well, I'm glad we got the confusion straightened out - there's enough confusion between my ears Smile If a deal is struck it will be a complicated one to say the least but I'll post updates here. John (from go.com) seems like a decent guy who, although for obvious reasons is looking out for the best interests of go.com, is flexible and very open minded. Keeping my digits crossed - ouch, damn carpal syndrome Smile

Dan Smile

Quote Reply
Well, looks like Go.com has decided to allow the script. I just used it on my site and it worked but there is a BIG banner at the top informing everyone that it is a go.com service. Well, that's better than not allowing it.

John Hesch

Quote Reply
I wouldn't hold my breath...Wait and see what happens.

Wink

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Re: [Heckler] alta vista has changed url for translate it In reply to
I came into this discussion late, but as of today, in trying the Translate-It script with the go.com link, I get a Systran page. There may be a problem at the Systran site, because if I try to go directly to http://www.systransoft.com/FAQ/ and choose translate off their own screen, it does the same thing. Long delay, then their homepage loads.

I downloaded and installed Translate-It mod 1.0b First beta version.

Regards,

Matt
> >