Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Weird problem using frames

Quote Reply
Weird problem using frames
Links 2 is just great,

I've customized it using templates. Everything looks as I want without frames but when links pages are inside a frame (my site uses frames) a horizontal scroll bar appears. This bar doesn't appear viewing the page in a blank window (without using frames), I don't know why this happens, you can view it here:

Without frames:
http://pop-page.net/enlaces (note, there's no horizontal scroll bar)

Same page with frames:
http://pop-page.net/index.php?origen=/enlaces (the horizontal scroll bar appears!)

and even more, using frames there are pages that don't show the scroll bar (since my site is in Spanish, click on 'buscar' (in top right corner - translate 'search') and you can see no horizontal scroll bar is shown.

I've checked HTML code but I have no explanation for this problem.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks!

(This just happens with IE6, with mozilla 0.9.8 pages (with and w/out frames) look OK)

Last edited by:

PoPeR: Mar 11, 2002, 4:14 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [PoPeR] Weird problem using frames In reply to
You mean the vertical scroll bar? Netscape/Mozilla browsers don't display scrollbars when they aren't needed, while Internet Explorer always displays them by default. Since in your frames setup you have the scrolling=no attribute defined, you are overiding the default for Explorer, and that is why it doesn't appear on the frames version.

I tested this with IE 6.0.26 and Mozilla 0.9.8

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator

Last edited by:

King Junko II: Mar 11, 2002, 6:17 PM
Quote Reply
Please don't post duplicates...sigh. I deleted your other thread.
Quote Reply
Re: [King Junko II] Weird problem using frames In reply to
No, I mean the horizontal scroll bar (at the bottom of the IE window, from left to right). Anyway, the scroll="no" tag in the frames setup is applied to the top frame (a navigation page) not to the main frame where the links pages are loaded.

Thanks
Quote Reply
You should use:

scrolling=no

...in your bottom frame.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Mar 12, 2002, 2:11 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] Weird problem using frames In reply to
Sorry for the duplicate post Unsure

If I add scrolling=no in the botton frame, what will happen when the page exceeds vertically the size of the window? I need vertical scroll bar, I just want to eliminate the horizontal scroll bar. It should appear only when content exceeds horizontally the size of the window (i.e. a big table, a picture...) but all the contents of my page are inside a table with 95% width so I don't know why the horizontal scroll bar is shown (as I said, only when using frames).
Quote Reply
I don't get a horizontal scrollbar! Tongue

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
Re: [King Junko II] Weird problem using frames In reply to
Shocked I hope I've got a 17'' monitor! but if you use 1024 x 768 resolution the scrollbar will appear (with the frameset and IE).

I've tried to fix the problem using the tag scrolling="vertical" in <frame> but it doesn't work.

This is very strange...

Thanks
Quote Reply
Wink I had the same problem, and the solution was removing the tag DOCTYPE. The browser I used was IE 6.0, it seems that the DOCTYPE messes things up!
Quote Reply
Re: [pmorgado] Weird problem using frames In reply to
OMG! I've been struggling with this same exact problem. Instead of reformatting the text to wrap before it hits the vertical scrollbar when a vertical scrollbar is needed, IE6 includes an unnecessary horizontal scrollbar to see the 1/4" of text that gets hidden behind the vertical scrollbar. This does NOT happen with Netscape. And using your trick of removing the DOCTYPE tag worked for me too. How did you ever figure that out?

And to Microsoft: WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY?! It's version 6 - you should know how to do scrollbars by now!!!!!Crazy

This leads me to the question: how important is it to include a DOCTYPE tag?

Now I've got to go and remove it from 200 or so documents. Joy.

Another way around this that I just found is that if you are using CSS, you can add this to the style sheet for the page that is including the horizontal scrollbar:

html body {width:95%}

Hopefully your users haven't set their scrollbars to be wider than the default in the OS.

Last edited by:

audiolizard: Oct 25, 2002, 8:19 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [audiolizard] Weird problem using frames In reply to
Quote:

Now I've got to go and remove it from 200 or so documents. Joy.

Guess you haven't heard of SSI (Server Side Include). Because if you had, you'd only have to edit one header file. Tongue
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] Weird problem using frames In reply to
No I've heard of them, and ideally I would have used them. But I'm not advanced yet, and I started this site quite a while ago. I'm sure a lot could be improved. However, I think I also read that using SSIs can cause slightly longer loading times and put more burden on the server. So there. Tongue

Also, the second method I mentioned fixes all the pages at once anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: [audiolizard] Weird problem using frames In reply to
Don't know what source you read, but that is totally untrue.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me