Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Transferring to a new server

Quote Reply
Transferring to a new server
I am trying to move my site over to a new server. Is there any sort of program I can run in Perl that will FTP my site over to a new server or a desktop app that will be the gobetween? Only problem with downloading it all down and then uploading it all back up is that I lose all the CHMOD permissions. Any idears? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Transferring to a new server In reply to
If you're M$ ... my friend uses cuteftp but then you're still up possibly for lost chmod.

macs ... ummm .... interarchy let's you open multi-windows and I believe that you can drag from window to the next... it's a mac so it should work.

perl ??? haha, that's for the gurus here, not me.

good luck

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Quote:
perl ??? haha, that's for the gurus here, not me.

You really oght to consider learning a little. You'll eventually find yourself going out of your way to do simple tasks the hard way by trying to get Perl to do it for you, just for the fun of it. Crazy

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
Hi Drew,

actually, starting to. Just that I don't have much time to really make a decent effort but a page or 2 a day is the rate I'm going at now ... errr ... reading that is. Next step is hopefully the camel book ???

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [ao4047] Transferring to a new server In reply to
Hi!
here's what i have done .. using CuteFTp
you download all the files to your disk (make sure to clean backup folder in admin ... it0s faster then :) )
then start new copy of CuteFtp ( yes you can open it several times at once) upload all files and then compare files for CHMOD between old copy on one server and new copy on new server ... well it takes few minutes but it worked for mwe like a charm :)
bye

Gregor
Quote Reply
Re: [sc2utp] Transferring to a new server In reply to
Thanks guys!

(I hope everyone and their families are safe and secure this morning)
Quote Reply
I know I'm pestering - is a .tar file like a .ZIP file on the server level? Could I compress the files - transfer them to a new server and then extract them - does that compression protocol keep CHMOD permission info? Thank you everyone on this board for your help throughout the years...
Quote Reply
Just wanted to update this thread and 'finish' it - you can spawn multiple session in CuteFTP and drag and drop files between severs. The CHMODs have to be re-done but it's a lot faster than downloading it all and re-uploading it... cheers..