Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Too Many Detail Pages

Quote Reply
Too Many Detail Pages
Hello:

I wanted to add detail pages, but the detailed pages are big- and I have lots of them.

Is there a modification that would work like jump.cgi and take the ID number to pull all the data from the database and build a templete driven detail page "on the fly"?

I do not want to store a couple thousand detail apges, and do not mind a bit of extra usage on the CPU. I think it would be kinda like a search...

Paul Anderson
Quote Reply
Re: Too Many Detail Pages In reply to
yea.. i have this with my categories.. it would be really easy for detailed pages though.. let me whip some code up..

i'll reply in a few minutes..

jerry
Quote Reply
ok.. done

http://www.widgetz.com/detail.txt

jerry
Quote Reply
widgetz:

My- that was fast- thank you!

Please confirm I have this correct:

Save this as detail.cgi in the links subdirectory.... (chmodded to 755, of course!)

call like this:

<A HREF="cgi-bin/detail.cgi?ID=XXX">

Modify Detailed.html in templetes...

and I am set?

I can recall ANY field in the links.db as just <%feildname%>?

this is so cool!

Thank you widgetz!

Paul

Quote Reply
widgetz:

(As if you had any doubts...)

Works like a charm! I owe you- thanks!!!!

Paul
Quote Reply
Hi:

Just one agged note to those of you who may do this (and it is pretty cool!).

Don't forget to turn $build_detailed to 0 in links.cfg, or all is for naught!

I admit, I forgot to!

Paul
Quote Reply
hehe. i forgot

jerry
Quote Reply
Hi,

Is the on-the-fly Detailed Page stored anywhere, or must it be re-made each time someone wants to view it?

Also, here's what I would like to add to the Detailed and other pages:

1. Add a Long Description Field (In addition to the standard Descrip field) to add.html, modify.html, etc.

2. Have this Long Descrip show up on detail.html. If there is no Long Descrip, then the standard Description would show up on the Detailed Page. I guess this would be something like an if/elseif type of thing.

3. Have the Long Descrip in admin.

What would be nice about this is that the shorter description could be on the links page, while the much longer, detailed description could be accessed on the Detail page. This way, linkers could provide a comprehensive description of their services/products that they can update, and visitors could get extra info if they wanted it.

Would anyone know how to do this? It's probably similar to elms' complementary work with Loopy's multi-cat mod.

Many, many thanks in advance.

------------------
ARMYNAVY.COM
MilitarySurplus Ring

[This message has been edited by TrainedMonkey (edited November 04, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Trained..

Do you know how to add a field?

Simply edit your links.def (first times are always the hardest)..

but there are plenty of threads in here about doing this.. it's not a hard process.. just updating your links.db is annoying.. (unless you use a perl script to do it for you)

jerry
Quote Reply
Yep,

I'll see if I can stick in a new one. I've used addfield.cgi before, and it worked great. My main concern is that I wanted this field to be update-able by the link owners, and that's the part that I wasn't 100% sure about. Let me examine this some more.

But what happens to the on-the-fly detail page? Do they get stored somewhere, or do they have to be generated each time someone wants to view them? I'm hoping that they are not stored. This way, my server space is not a factor.

Thanks so much, and thanks for this nice code. I finally figured out the basics of building detailed pages, but I also quickly learned the downside that they can take up a ton of space.

TM

------------------
ARMYNAVY.COM
MilitarySurplus Ring

Quote Reply
detail.cgi is one file for ALL your detailed pages.. just enter detail.cgi?ID=###

and then that ID's detail page comes up..

jerry
Quote Reply
No luck using either ID=XXX or ID=###.

ID=XXX brought me back to me home page, and ID=### got me to the template of detailed.html without the specific link info.

So, I changed it to ID=<%ID%> and it worked.

Donno why the others didn't. Might I have done something wrong?

Thanks.

TM

------------------
ARMYNAVY.COM
MilitarySurplus Ring

Quote Reply
is it that hard to understand.. in the above examples ID=XXX only meant ID=(the links ID) same for ###..

why would you put ID=XXX and get a specific Links Info??? [common sense]

jerry
Quote Reply
Can you post the file detail.txt again, widgetz?? It seems to be a cool script but I can't find it on your site !!

thankx

Puffy Dog
------------------------
watch out this dog bites
Quote Reply
Junko has made a similat mod, which works like a charm Laugh

U could find it in Ressource center :
It calls 'info.cgi'!

ciao